Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Answers to insurance questions for the San Diego Wildfire victims

When you finish reading this article, and have a question regarding insurance coverage for fire damage claims, please post it in the comments section at the bottom of this article, and I will make every effort to respond to you.

This article will be dealing with the issue of Additional Living Expense. This coverage offered under your homeowner and renter’s policy is designed to reimburse you for the expenses you would not have incurred if the fire did not take place.

If you were one of the thousands of individuals forced to evacuate your home, or rental property due to the San Diego wildfires, this article may offer some assistance. The incurring of expense of any amount to support yourself and your family, will be covered under your homeowner or renter’s policy, with no deductible application to be applied against the Additional Living Expense.

Additional Living Expense is the coverage that is available to meet the cost incurred to support yourself and family during the time period you are out of your home either due to a forced evacuation, or the destruction of your home and personal property.

Additional Living Expense is listed as Coverage D on your policy and is usually 10% of the amount designated for Coverage A. If you have a renter’s policy, your Additional Living Expense will be 10% of the total indicated for Coverage C Personal Property.

If you stayed in a hotel and took your meals in a restaurant during the period of evacuation, please provide all of the receipts for those expenses to your insurance company. One other issue, is always provide your insurance adjuster with a telephone number where you can be contacted during the time the claim is being evaluated, in case the insurance adjuster has any questions for your.

Concerning the expenses incurred for meals, the claims adjuster will want to know how much you normally spend for food. If the normal expense is $1,000 per month and your Additional Living Expense incurred for food during your evacuation is $1,500, the Additional Living Expense for your food allowance will be $500.

Your Additional Living Expense should cover the following issues:

a.) Additional mileage traveled due to being relocated. If you normally travel 40 miles a day to go to work, take and pick-up your kids at school or to do errands and now you travel 75 miles a day, the additional 35 miles a day should be covered under your Additional Living Expense coverage.
b.) Pet care. If it was necessary to board your pet during your period of relocation, that charge would also be covered under the Additional Living Expense section of your policy.
c.) Cable TV charges. Your policy will assume the cost to connect your cable at the property where you are relocated until you can return home. You would be expected to pay for the monthly bill, just like at your home.

Report this ad