The Fox News story is that Putin has requested his parliament the permission to invade the Crimean region of the Ukraine. Russians have already positioned troops at two key airports in unbranded uniforms.
There must be a process for addressing situations like this that involve the United Nations as well as a host of treaty commitments.
Does the US have a treaty with the Ukraine? According to a report in the Daily Mail we do.
“Revealed: The forgotten treaty which could drag the US and UK into WAR with Russia if Putin's troops intervene in Ukraine
- The agreement sees signatories promise to protect Ukraine's borders
- It was signed by Bill Clinton, John Major, Boris Yeltsin and Leonid Kuchma in 1994
- Ukrainian parliament has now reached out directly to all the countries who signed the treaty
- Putin currently has 150,000 troops on Ukraine's borders and it is reported some have crossed into the country
- President Obama says he is 'deeply concerned' by the news
The US and Britain have both made 'crisis calls' to President Putin to warn him to respect territorial boundaries
By JILL REILLY and LIZZIE EDMONDS
PUBLISHED: 13:05 EST, 28 February 2014 | UPDATED: 06:41 EST, 1 March 2014”
The Fox News story asks if it is too late to stop the Russians?
“Putin seeks permission to use Russian military in Crimea
Published March 01, 2014FoxNews.com
- Is it too late to warn Russia to stay out of Ukraine?
- Russian troops have reportedly entered Ukraine
- Is a modern day Cold War upon us?
The Kremlin says Russian President Vladimir Putin has asked parliament for permission to use the country's military in Ukraine.
Putin says the move is needed to protect ethnic Russians and the personnel of a Russian military base in Ukraine's strategic region of Crimea. The request comes a day after President Obama warned Moscow that "there will be costs" if it intervenes militarily in Ukraine.”
The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
The sad part in all of this is that the US and allies didn’t see it coming. Does anyone remember when the Nazis hosted the World Olympics just before they started WWII? The Russians just held the World Olympics while citizens in their own nation protested. And, now, the neighborhood is protesting too for various reasons.
Russia has a legitimate national security concern what with Ukraine government tumbling down. The root issues are economic and individual freedom as well as security and protection for minority groups in a diverse society.
Leadership would be having the Russians participate in a collaborative solution with the EU and US. So, where are the leaders?