Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Anonymous names officer in Ferguson shooting, spark calls for murder

Police on guard in Ferguson, Mo.
Police on guard in Ferguson, Mo.
Scott Olson/Getty Images

On Thursday, the hacker group Anonymous released the name of an officer it claims is responsible for the shooting death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., on Twitter, the New York Times reported. Shortly after the name was released, calls for the officer's murder were posted to Twitter.

"[K]ill himmmmm," one person said on Twitter. According to the Times, the group said it would release more information, including a photograph of the officer, if the police department did not respond.

It's not known at this time if the name released by Anonymous is the actual officer involved. The local police department did not respond to requests for information Thursday and has said it would not release the information for some time, citing safety concerns. Threats have been made against the officer and the department on various social media sites.

Anonymous has previously released the name of the Ferguson police chief along with information on his wife and children. A police family in a town north of Ferguson was evacuated after the group wrongly outed the man as the officer who shot Brown, Jim Hoft said at the Gateway Pundit. The group has also threatened to bring down city, county and federal networks if the police respond to rioters. Others, meanwhile, have called for the murder of white people.

MSNBC activist Al Sharpton and the New Black Panther Party have also demanded the officer's name be released. In a list of demands, the NBPP, along with other groups like the Nation of Islam, demanded the officer be identified, fired and tried for murder.

On Wednesday, rioters threw Molotov cocktails at officers and tried to set fires. The Times said that one officer appeared to suffer a broken ankle after being struck by a brick. According to a post at the News Commenter, the Molotov cocktails were thrown by group of communists bussed in from Chicago.

"Their reported goal is to make the protests go super-violent, spread across the region, and spark a revolution," TNC said. "They are said to visibly stand out from the local protesters in how they respond to police and intimidate reporters when photos and video are taken of them."

Over 10 people were arrested in Wednesday's protests, the Times said. Two reporters said they were arrested for trespassing inside a local McDonald's. The Times said they were later released without charges or explanation. Huffington Post reporter Ryan J. Reilly said on Twitter he was charging his phone when a SWAT team entered and demanded his ID when he took a picture.

"This cop seemed to take pleasure in the way he treated me," Reilly said on Twitter. "Hope to prevent others from being subjected to his abuse." According to Reilly, the officer slammed his head on the door, refused to identify himself and did not Mirandize him.

Antonio French, a St. Louis alderman who had been documenting the protests on social media, was also arrested, according to his wife. Jim Hoft said on Twitter that a crowd outside the police station demanded his release.

Update: Shortly after this story was published, CBS St. Louis said the officer identified by Anonymous is not with the Ferguson Police Department.

Report this ad