The funeral and home going celebration of Pulitzer Prize winner, “Your Voice” radio show host, Co-Founder, Detroit 300, Angelo Henderson, 51, was held Monday, Feb. 24 at Greater Grace Temple in Detroit and attended by political, spiritual, community leaders and dignitaries from around the state of Michigan.
The funeral was live streamed from WCHB 1200 AM at Greater Grace Temple.
Henderson was a minister as Triumph Church, Pastor Solomon Kinloch. Dr. Charles G. Adams, Hartford Memorial Baptist Church delivered the eulogy.
Two days of public viewing were held precluding the funeral services. The people just kept coming and coming…to view the body and to give their respect to this man of strength and courage.
Many remarks of encouragement and memories were made from community leaders:
- E. J. Mitchell, best friend and God Father to Grant (Angelo’s son)
- Mark Henderson, nephew
- Rochelle Riley, journalist
- Rev. Dr. Wilma Johnson, read Psalm 23
- Dr. Spencer T. Ellis, read I Thessalonians 4:13
- Dr. Kenneth Flowers – Prayer
- Detroit Mayor, Mike Duggan’s representative
- Judge Mathis – sent note of condolence
- Detroit Police Chief, James Craig
- Mayor Brenda Lawrence, City of Southfield
- Robert Ficano, Wayne County Executive
- Tonya Allen, President & CEO of the Skillman Foundation
- City of Pontiac
- John Conyers, Senior Congressman, House of Representative
To Felecia, wife of Angelo and Grant, his son, may you find comfort in knowing that your husband and father touched many lives and taught us the true meaning of caring and giving.
Our country is better because of the life of Angelo Henderson, our state is blessed, our city thrives and our community is stronger because of one man’s life and vision.
Let us carry out the legacy and spirit of this giant of a man.
R.I.P. Angelo Henderson