Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Anchor found in Puget Sound: Massive anchor salvaged, Vancouver relic from 1792

Anchor found submerged in Puget Sound, 1792 relic?
Anchor found submerged in Puget Sound, 1792 relic?
KVNF News, Twitter Photo File

An anchor found in Puget Sound might be one breakthrough discovery salvaged by none other than a team of so-called “amateur sleuths.” It’s believed that the massive anchor — the object weighs over 900 pounds — might have belonged to the ship of one Captain George Vancouver, who led a key exploration of the Pacific Northwest back in 1792. The Vancouver Sun News reports this Wednesday, June 11, that it was no easy task bringing this ancient relic up to the light of day, while the team intends on proving that their big find does indeed belong to the fabled captain of the past.

Although it has been almost a full six years after they initially learned of the anchor at the bottom of Puget Sound, a crew of sleuths and amateur historians have come together to salvage this massive item this week. There was much celebration on Monday morning after the 900-pound anchor was finally brought to the water’s surface from the depths, as this particular relic is believed to have been lost well over 200 years ago in 1792 when under the ownership of Captain George Vancouver.

Analysis on the sunken sea object still needs to be completed, but the exploratory team is hopeful at the prospects of the recent find in Puget Sound being the actual stream anchor that was suddenly lost on June 9, 1972. At the time, it was connected with an 80 foot survey ship called the HMS Chatham; the brig was part of a Pacific Northwest exploration mission. Yet the anchor found in Puget Sound was not retrieved easily.

USA Today notes that the massive relic of the past threatened to collapse while being brought to the surface, so the amateur team prepared some protective measure beforehand. A partial trench was created beneath the big anchor itself — along with a unique, makeshift support system to help stabilize and lift the object — yet even the weather was uncooperative. Due to the harsh weather this week in Washington and the highly choppy waters, divers needed over six hours to successfully fasten the anchor to a crane and chain in order to bring it up.

What’s more, the long-lost anchor was cemented firmly into the seafloor. Yet despite all of the setbacks, the team was successful in lifting it up and hoisting it through the waters of Puget Sound to the surface, making it truly “found” once again.

"I'm pretty overcome," amateur historian Scott Grimm—who has worked for years to salvage the relic with the help of Doug Monk, the initial diver who first spotted the anchor—said in a recent statement. Now, a more thorough study of this Puget Sound relic may be done to see if the barnacle-crusted anchor did once belong to Captain Vancouver in this breakthrough American expedition back in 1792.

Report this ad