Cabot cheese is a New England favorite and many Connecticut dairy farms participate in the Cabot Creamery Cooperative. Together they have won every major taste award for their cheddar cheese.
Cabot is using this holiday season when many of us overload on sweets, to promote some great heart healthy recipes that are proven time and time again to be delicious and easy to prepare.
Cabot Reduced Fat Apple-Cheddar Bread Pudding
Makes 6 servings
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 5 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup Cabot 50% Reduced Fat Cheddar, grated
- 2 apples, cored, peeled and diced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (12-ounce) can non-fat evaporated milk
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat 9-by-9-inch or other 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. (Alternatively, use six individual ramekins.)
2. Trim crusts from bread and cut each slice into 9 squares. Arrange bread over bottom of dish. Coat top of bread with nonstick cooking spray, then sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Scatter cheese over bread and top with apples.
3. In small bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, granulated white sugar and vanilla until well blended. Whisk in evaporated milk. Pour mixture evenly over other ingredients in dish.
4. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Calories 281 , Total Fat 6g , Saturated Fat 3g , Sodium 341mg , Carbohydrates 44g , Dietary Fiber 3g , Protein 15g , Calcium 330mg
-recipe courtesy of Cabot Creamery Cooperative
Some Facts about Cabot Creamery:
- Cabot recently held the first ever Open Farm Sunday on November 1st . Approx. 30 farms across New England participated in this event to give thanks to consumers for their support of the Cabot farms. (CT farms that participated are located in Suffield, Durham and Woodstock)
- Visit Cabot's website at www.CabotCheese.coop
- Cabot Creamery Cooperative has won every major taste award for their cheddar cheese –including the prestigious World Cheese Awards.
- Cabot Creamery Cooperative has been in continuous operation in Vermont since 1919.
- Cabot is owned by 1200 dairy farm families located through New England and upstate New York.
- 100% of Cabot profits go to the Cooperative farmers.