Catching up with old friends over a satisfying snack is a wonderful feeling. Recently, this Examiner went to visit friends in Pennsylvania to celebrate loyalty and laughter. While there, we traded funny stories, pictures of our husbands, partners, and children, and some recipes. One friend suggested a deceptively simple chive drip. Serve it to your friends with wheat crackles or kettle potato chips.
Amish Country Cheese and Chives Dip Recipe
• 2 eggs
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 pinch sea salt
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 2 tablespoons vinegar
• 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon chopped chives*
• Parsley to taste
• Fresh herbs (basil, etc.) for garnish
(*Optional-chives can be replaced with 2-3 teaspoons dill weed)
1. Beat the eggs and the sugar together in a bowl.
2. Move mixture to a small saucepan. Add the pinch of salt, the butter, and the vinegar.
3. Thicken the mixture on low heat. Then set aside and cool.
4. When the dip is cool, add the softened cream cheese, the chopped onions, the chives and the parsley.
5. Stir and spoon into a serving dish.
6. Garnish with fresh herbs.
7. Serve to friends with wheat crackers or potato chips.
8. Appreciate the gift of friendship.