Have you heard the news? According to a BR Guest Hospitality article published on Oct. 23, a refreshing holiday is coming up and Americans are ready to celebrate! And with Halloween right around the corner, you don't have to be a ghoul, ghost or goblin to get into the holiday "spirit" this year.
Cheers to a Great Tasting Beer
And just how popular is beer in America? According to the Brewers Association, "overall U.S. beer sales were approximately 200,028,520 barrels and imported beer sales were 27, 712,665 barrels in 2012." 2,403 breweries were operating in America last year.
Craft brewers sold over 13 million barrels of beer in 2012. Craft beer, made by smaller, independent brewers, is typically made with traditional ingredients and sometimes not-so-traditional ingredients to give the beer its distinctive flavor. Craft brewers currently provide more than 108,000 jobs in the United States.
Whether you consider yourself a beer connoisseur, weekend warrior or someone who just enjoys a tasty brew every so often, now is the perfect time to raise your glass and toast a great tasting beer! And speaking of beer - check out the following beer-inspired events to see what's "on tap" in your neck-of-the-woods in honor of American Beer Day.
American Beer Day 2013 Tastings, Crawls & Events Across America
- FREE Beer Tasting at Wildwood BBQ - Wildwood BBQ will be hosting a FREE Captain Lawrence Beer Tasting event on Oct. 27, 2013, between 5 - 7:00 p.m. Tasty brews including Captain Lawrence Kolsh, Liquid Gold and Pumpkin Ale will all be on hand.
- FREE Victory Brewing Company Tasting - Stop by Wegmans-Dulles in Sterling, VA, for a FREE tasting of a variety of refreshing beverages. Plus, if you purchase a 6-pack of any Victory beer during the event, you'll get a free pint glass, too! The tasting takes place on Oct. 27 from 11 - 2:30 p.m.
- Lotus Thai National Beer Day Specials - Both Lotus Thai locations in San Diego will be servin' up $3 specials on Asian and American beer all day long on drafts and bottled beer (up to 12 ounces) on Sunday, Oct. 27, 2013.
- Bill's Beer Tasting Events - Stop by Bill's in the Meatpacking District from 2-4:00 p.m. and/or Bill’s near Rockefeller Center from 5-7:00 p.m. on Oct. 27, 2013, for FREE Sixpoint beer tasting.
- Kannah Creek Brewing Company Beer Tasting Event - The Kannah Creek Brewing Company will be celebrating its "Kannahversary" and you're invited! In honor of the event, they'll be tapping into some of their very special reserve kegs from their Single Hop Series on Oct. 27, 2013. $10 will get you unlimited samples of the tasty brew out on the patio.
- Haunted Pub Crawl - If you want to get into the spirit of the season, look no further! Stop by BeerQuest's Haunted Pub Crawl "witch" includes a guided craft beer tasting and sampling of 8 local craft beers. The walking tour lasts over two hours and stops by several haunted bars in Portland's Old Town! Costumes are encouraged. Tickets are $25 and space is limited. And you better hurry - advance bookings are required. Visit the website for more information.
As always, please drink responsibly. Cheers! Oct. 27 is also Cranky Co-Workers Day. Just sayin'!