QUICK! FIRE IS FASTER THAN A FIRE TRUCK
is the other “Book” that I’ve written and no it is not a Best Seller!
Here is a headline that tears me apart please let me know how this story impacts you as you read this. Couple killed in house fire fondly remembered in neighborhood Published March 19, 2012, By Rex Barber - Press Staff Writer. Abbie and Robert Young used to walk around their neighborhood, hand-in-hand, when the weather was good for it. “They were always holding hands. They were the nicest couple,” said neighbor CL Trentham. “They were a very devoted couple, to see them at their age going along holding hands. That’s unusual.” Abbie L. Young, 89, and Robert Goodman Young, 91, both of 608 Pine Ridge Road, died from a fire at their home Friday afternoon. Abbie died in the home. Robert died later at Johnson City Medical Center.
Firefighters found the couple on the stairs after getting inside the home. The fire was determined to be electrical. CL and her husband, Graden, remembered the Youngs as “the finest people.” They said Abbie was a little more reserved than her husband, who was always eager to talk. Graden said when he and CL were out walking through the neighborhood, they would often stop and chat with the Youngs for a while. “They planted a garden,” Graden said. “You’d see them both out behind the house down there where they had the garden.” The Young’s son, Robert Young Jr., said his mother and father were soulmates who would have been married 68 years April 1. The couple loved Southern gospel music, taking walks and raising a garden. “They were kind of like the neighborhood grandparents from what people were telling me,” Young Jr. said. “Everybody sort of gravitated to them.” Graden said Robert was certainly always friendly. “I’d wave at him and blow (the car horn) at him if he was outside when I went by and he’d wave every time,” Graden said of Robert. CL was a hairdresser, and Abbie would visit her until recently to get her hair done. The Youngs had lived at their Pine Ridge home since 1976, though they moved to Johnson City in 1954. Robert was in the medical field and retired from the Veterans Affairs Medical Center. He then went to work at Big Lots and retired from there, too. Abbie retired from Johnson City Medical Center. Young Jr. said his parents were always together for the nearly 70 years they were married. “It is an incredible amount of time,” Young Jr. said. “For a couple to be together that long is incredible in this day and time.”
Chaplain Oscar Smith offers this caveat about what you are about to read now …I am not a Governmental Official, I am not a Fire Official nor do I take any responsibility for the accuracy of these numbers. As of today March 6, 2013 there have been 26 lives loss to fire here in Tennessee alone!
2012 Lives Lost: 63
2011 Lives Lost: 66
2010 Lives Lost: 77
2009 Lives Lost: 67
2008 Lives Lost: 73
2007 Lives Lost: 74
2006 Lives Lost: 83
2005 Lives Lost: 82
Lewis County, TN. Woman's Fire Death is 9th in TN in 5 Days. Nashville, TN. This is an article I wrote last year or so thank you for taking time to read this far. As Chaplains we are often called to families to offer comfort and direction when troubling times come around. I must trust God for all direction and today all I could do was to PRAY. An Antioch teen died in a horrible fire just a few miles from where Marsha and I live. Metro Police have identified the young girl who died in an early-morning house fire, and Metro Fire says she saved an 11-year and then returned to the burning building to rescue others. While everyone else made it out safety, the 15-year-old at the time this was written was identified as Dalia Prieto, became trapped by the flames. She was a freshman at Overton High.
My friend for years Kim Lawson, who is the Deputy Chief, Nashville Fire Dept. said Investigators have determined that the early morning fire at 4563 Artelia Drive in Antioch was unintentional, caused by a space heater. Please Read My Articles! I have been warning about this Danger particularly in this economy here in Nashville! The heater was in the basement bedroom and ignited combustible items.
One child remains hospitalized in critical condition. Two additional people were injured, including a firefighter who received a hand injury after a floor collapsed in the severely burned home. The fire began around 2:30 a.m. Heavy fire was seen coming from all windows when the first fire engine arrived on the scene.
Fourteen people were in the home, nine children and five adults. Investigators could find no working smoke alarms in the burned home. An 11-year-old girl was also critically injured. Seven other children and five adults escaped without serious injury. The fire was advanced with heavy fire coming from all windows when the first fire engine arrived on the scene. Several friends at the scene said the victim’s 15th birthday was Nov. 12, and a large group celebrated with her at a “Sweet 15 party,” last Saturday. I am being told she was a really happy wonderful person.
It is speculated a heater or heaters in the home could have been a factor in the cause of the fire.
The fire department didn’t confirm whether a heater could have started the fire, but said it will be investigated. The fire is not considered suspicious based on present information the personnel with the Metro Police Department are saying the mother of the victim killed is reported to be Gloria Prieto, according to the Associated Press and several at the scene, though that wasn’t confirmed by the Nashville Fire Department. An Occupant named Garcia woke up as the fire started. Garcia’s fingers and left arm were wrapped after he was treated for cuts breaking a window trying to get out of the house.
“You couldn’t see anything, you couldn’t breathe,’’ Garcia said. “It’s very sad.’’
Firefighters made an aggressive interior attack trying to find the victim in dangerous conditions, fire department spokesman Ricky Taylor said earlier this morning. There was heavy fire and heavy smoke, with the risk of the roof caving in on firefighters. The victim was found deceased in the upstairs living area.
The house, which had two stories and a basement, was a total loss, Taylor said. Only the brick was still intact.
The girl’s deceased body was taken out of the home shortly after 8 a.m. Another child, a girl, received second- and third-degree burns to 60 percent of her body and was transported to Vanderbilt University Medical Center by ambulance. Take heart Dear Readers we need to get this Life Safety Message out to our family and friends today! Please Contact me at Chap@ChapOscar.com Chaplain Oscar Smith.
Lincoln Heritage Funeral Advantage, Family Support Services, CISM Chaplain Oscar Smith www.TNSURE.com
Very Special Thank you Melissa Faulkner, Integrity Mortgage Group (615) 366-0033 who has Hosted our Home Fire Safety Workshops with outstanding enthusiasm!
Ted Ciuba www.ThinkRichRadio,com
Bobby Williams www.SpiritofaChampion.com