The Oct. 28 episode of “Dancing with the Stars” was full of daring dances and big surprises. After a grueling night of individual routines and the return of Team Dances, Amber Riley and Corbin Bleu won the night, but Amber is winning the marathon and tops the “DWTS” combined leaderboard after seven weeks of competition. Here’s how it all played out on Monday night.
Round One: Individual Dances
During the first round, the remaining eight couples took on a dance style that they have not previously performed. Elizabeth Berkley and Val Chmsrkovskiy were first to hit the dance floor with their Quickstep. All three judges liked the routine, but noted that their speed resulted in a loss of body contact. They received a score of 27. Brant Daugherty and Peta Murgatroyd performed a Jive that was energetic and packed with complicated moves, but Brant slipped a bit at the end. They received a score of 27. Despite a rib injury this week, Leah Remini performed a saucy Salsa with daring, but shaky lifts and received a score of 26. Jack Osbourne, who reached his fatigue tipping point this week, was able to overcome his exhaustion to dance an impressive Jive with Cheryl Burke. Carrie Ann awarded Jack with a perfect 10, but his combined score was 27. Amber Riley pushed beyond the pain of her injured knee to perform a nearly perfect and powerful Paso Doble with Derek Hough. Len and Carrie gave her 10s, while Bruno gave her a 9, for a total score of 29. Bill Engvall and Emma Slater performed a Quickstep to “Viva Las Vegas” by Elvis Pressley and received a score of 23. Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi was also exhausted this week, but channeled her inner Beyonce to perform a speedy Salsa that earned a 27. Last week, Corbin Bleu and Karina Smirnoff received their lowest score of the season, but this week they made up for it with a sparkling clean and nearly perfect Cha Cha that received a score of 29.
"DWTS” leaderboard after Round One on Oct. 28.
- Corbin Bleu and Karina Smirnoff: 29
- Amber Riley and Derek Hough: 29
- Elizabeth Berkley and Val Chmerkovskiy: 27
- Brant Daugherty and Peta Murgatroyd: 27
- Jack Osbourne and Cheryl Burke: 27
- Snooki Polizzi and Sasha Farber: 27
- Leah Remini and Tony Dovolani: 26
- Bill Engvall and Emma Slater: 23
Round Two: Team Dances
In the second round, the cast danced together in two teams, with each couple performing a brief individual solo. Amber and Elizabeth served as team captains and picked their team members schoolyard style.
- Team Spooky Bom Bom included Elizabeth, Leah, Snooki and Bill. Their dance was performed in a graveyard filled with fog, gravestones and mystery. The judges enjoyed the group effort. Len stated, “That was tight and right on the money.” Bruno added that the routine played to each star’s strengths. Score: 27.
- Team Foxy Awesome (Jack, Corbin, Amber and Brant) performed a wild routine to the ridiculously catchy song “What Does the Fox Say?” Bruno thought it was clever and inventive, while Carrie Ann added, “It was like an acid trip.” All three judges loved the complicated choreography and intricate details. Score: 30.
Below is the combined “DWTS” leaderboard after two rounds on Oct. 28.
- Corbin Bleu: 29 + 30 = 59
- Amber Riley: 29 + 30 = 59
- Brant Daugherty: 27 + 30 = 57
- Jack Osbourne: 27 + 30 = 57
- Snooki Polizzi: 27 + 27 = 54
- Elizabeth Berkley: 27 + 27 = 54
- Leah Remini: 26 + 27 = 53
- Bill Engvall: 23 + 27 = 50
The biggest surprise of the evening was the shocking elimination of Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi, who clearly did not deserve to be sent home. Two other celebrities had lower scores, but at this point in the competition, anything can and usually does happen. At the end of the show, Tom Bergeron asked Snooki about her final thoughts, but she was too emotional and choked up to provide a response. Concerning Monday's surprising elimination, “USA Today” posted on Oct. 28, “Gasps of surprise went up from the audience."
Below is the “DWTS” leaderboard after seven weeks of competition:
- Amber Riley: 27 + 24 + 24 + 27 + 26 + 32 + 59 = 219
- Corbin Bleu: 24 + 26 + 26 + 27 + 28 + 27 + 59 = 217
- Elizabeth Berkley: 24 + 25 + 25 + 27 + 26 + 32 + 54 = 213
- Brant Daugherty: 22 + 23 + 27 + 21 + 27 + 31 + 57 = 208
- Jack Osbourne: 23 + 24 + 22 + 24 + 27 + 27 + 57 = 204
- Snooki Polizzi: 23 + 20 + 25 + 24 + 27 + 30 + 54 = 203 (eliminated)
- Leah Remini: 21 + 24 + 24 + 24 + 22 + 28 + 53 = 196
- Bill Engvall: 18 + 21 + 24 + 21 + 24 + 24 + 50 = 182
New episodes of “DWTS” air at 8 p.m. EST (7 p.m. CST) on Monday nights on ABC.
Next week, Oscar, Emmy and Golden Globe winning Cher will replace Len Goodman for her first ever spin at judges’ table. In addition to flashing the paddles, she’ll also perform, so it should be one of the best nights this season.
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on SUBSCRIBE, and you’ll stay up-to-the-minute with the latest "DWTS" news.