Amazon issued an update to their iOS app this week that allows users with a number of updates. The biggest news is the ability to Airplay content from the app to an Apple TV. Previously, users could only send the audio to an Apple TV. With this update, users can wirelessly stream audio and video from an iOS device to an Apple TV.
The Amazon Instant Video app allows customers to watch videos purchased from Amazon on their iOS device. While all videos must be purchased through a web browser and not through the app, Amazon does allow free streaming of over 40,000 videos to their Amazon Prime customers without purchase or additional cost.
Other improvements in version 2.1 include:
- IMDB cast and director information, ratings, goofs, trivia, and quotes
- Ability to read customer reviews
- Finding other videos featuring cast or director
- Customer who watched this also watched…feature
- Ability for concurrent downloads
- Improved offline experience
- A faster and more responsive interface
- Other bug fixes and stability improvements
These new additions come right before an update to Apple’s mobile operating system. With Airplay and the other updates, Amazon is demonstrating its commitment to grow its user experience while meeting expectations of its current customers. This update also helps Amazon stay closer to Apple’s own offerings where Airplay has been active since its introduction.