Audubon Butterflies is priced at $4.99 in Google Play; it is normally priced at $4.99 at the Amazon Appstore. As we've noted before, there are sometimes differences in pricing and availability between the two marketplaces.
Audubon Butterflies is described as follows:
"Beautiful - everything from the photos to the color schemes on this app are just really pleasant to look at." - Robert Mortenson
• This app is optimized for Android Version 2.1+. Suggested minimum device CPU is 800 Mhz. The App's 260+ MB database installs directly to the SD card with Version 2.2+. With Version 2.1 the app database must be moved manually to the SD card through Settings.
• PLEASE NOTE: This app is not yet compatible for honeycomb.
Audubon Butterflies is your essential guide to over 600 butterflies of North America. Now you can identify every species in your backyard, parks, gardens, the woods or fields with thousands of professional color photographs.
Contains in-depth, authoritative information based on the National Audubon Society’s Field Guides to Butterflies with updates by Rick Cech, a natural history author and one of the world's leading butterfly experts.
• In-depth Descriptions of every species, with authoritative information on appearance, habitat, behavior, and much more
• Over 2,000 beautiful color photographs detailing each species with extraordinary clarity.
• A detailed reference section, which includes detailed butterfly natural history
• Identify with accuracy. Browse by shape, name (first, last, scientific), or by family
• Search by multiple “advanced search” variables including shape, size, region, color, and habitat
• Navigate back and forth between species information, personalized Life Lists and Sightings, search functions and more with ease and clarity.
• Record your field experiences using the Life List and Sighting features. Track a sighting using the device’s GPS, add notes, and save to the App for records of your nature adventures
• Join our online field guide community of nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts at AudubonGuides.com
• Read the blogs for insights from our naturalists in the field
• Send us your suggestions, comments or requests. We also welcome submissions of high quality photographs that might assist our users in identifying butterflies. You can contact us directly by selecting "Feedback" in the "More" section of the application.
Audubon Butterflies has a 3.9-star rating in Google Play and a 2.7-star rating in the Amazon Appstore.
Issues at the Amazon Appstore: pricing (but this is pretty constant across Audubon's apps), permissions, and an inability to move the app to the SD card.
With that, we'd buy this, free or not.
We continue to be disappointed with the FAOTD program. It began promisingly enough, with Angry Birds Rio, but we've gotten tired of the endless games or niche apps, and especially apps which have no uptake in Google Play, and seem to be FAOTD as a desperation move by the developer.
The app has a version in the App Store, as well. It is priced at $4.99 and has a 4-star rating overall and 4-stars for the current version.
We'd like to see free versions of say, Office-compatible software or useful utilities such as CalenGoo instead of niche apps or endless games (we just assume every day that it's going to be a game; it's gotten that bad).
Amazon.com opened up the Appstore despite a lawsuit by Apple, which has previously trademarked the term "App Store." Microsoft has filed an appeal against that trademark, saying the term is too generic. Amazon.com has responded to the lawsuit in the same manner.
Apple has already lost a portion of that lawsuit, which said Amazon.com had participated in "false advertising."