Six lay people, under the guidance of two unbiased judges, have reviewed the murder case in the death of British student Meredith Kercher. And after half a day of deliberations they came to the same conclusion as the official members of the first trial: Amanda Knox and Rafaelle Sollecito are guilty of murder.
On Jan. 31 the world learned the latest verdict in the brutal murder case, and the family of the American girl convicted immediately began ushering her to safety from the waiting press outside her home in Seattle, according to The Telegraph.
A preponderance of the evidence by a new jury's eyes in Italy this year strongly contradicts the continued public assertions of the female Seattle resident on trial for the second time in the death of British student Meredith Kercher.
In fact, after the second jury in the case reviewed all the evidence and testimony in the matter this month they have revealed that they felt Knox's role was so instrumental in the 2007 crime that they gave her a sentence of 28 years and six months instead of the 26 years she received after the first guilty verdict in 2009.
And Rafaelle Solliceto was viewed less favorably as well, sentenced this week to 26 years compared to the 25 year sentence he received the first time he went to trial in Italy.
Lawyers for both convicted murderers plan to appeal, which will result in the case going before the Italian's Supreme Court some time between now and Spring 2015. But in the meantime, rumors are circulating that Amanda Knox will appear on Good Morning America on Friday at 7 a.m. to try and try to gain American sympathy, as the Italian government may now seek her extradition for the crime.
In her remarks made since she was found guilty of murder for the second time this decade, the former study abroad student sought to downplay the evidence of the case against her, issuing this remark.
There has always been a marked lack of evidence [of my guilt]," Amanda said.
But while the BBC reported that the former Washington state student said she "expected better from the Italian justice system" this time around, the new jury members who heard all the evidence this time obviously feel that evidence did support a guilty verdict all along--and that the sentencing should have been greater for both Sollecito and Knox.
With the recent confirmation that both have been found guilty of the brutal murder of Meredith Kercher yet again, this time by an entirely different group of independent officials, it appears the Knox family is poised to launch another media campaign against extradition.
Meredith Kercher's brother feels the possibility is strong, too, having this to say at the conclusion of the verdict in Italy this week:
It's hard to feel anything at the moment because we know that it's going to a further appeal by the defendants, which will extend the whole process until the Spring of next year," Lyle Kercher said.
But the bar owner who was falsely accused by Knox during the murder investigation was less congenial, stating that "Amanda knows what happened that night, she bears great responsibility." And while she was found liable in giving false testimony against Patrick Lumumba previously, it has been reported in the press that she is seeking now to try and get that conviction overturned too.
Atlanta Top News Examiner Radell Smith has a degree in criminal justice and behavioral forensics.