December 16, 2013
Just in time for the holidays, celebrated fashion designer and Project Runway alumnus Althea Harper divulges with us a few tips for looking great this winter and holiday season.
Winter & Holiday Style Tips from Althea Harper
- Forget ancient fashion rules. It’s okay to wear white in the winter. In fact, this season head-to- toe white is on trend. However, if you are planning to take on this daring style advice, make sure that your white clothing is clean with no spots and wrinkle-free. I like to use the Pro Iron Steam Station from Rowenta because it has the steam capabilities for a delicate white silk gown and precision ironing for pleated trousers. If you don’t feel 100% comfortable in all white, opt for a champagne color.
- Mixing textures is a winter alternative to the summer/fall mixing of patterns. A beautiful and classic mix is leather and lace, but you can get a little more creative and mix feathers and knits! Or jacquard and tweed!
- The 50’s have made its way back into fashion and the most flattering silhouette is the nipped in waist with the large circle skirt. A way to make this look work for a holiday party without purchasing a new dress is to pair a full skirt with a bold colored silk top. Add some gold chunky bracelets to keep the look modern and fun.
- Peplum is still popular this season. You can find it on skirts, tops, dresses and even high-waist pants. It gives a dramatic flare to a regular LBD (little black dress). You can give a holiday look a little extra flare by finding a brocade peplum dress. The fabric not only gives the dress a very luxurious look but the medium weight fabric allows for a voluminous, beautiful peplum. Upkeep of this fabric is surprisingly easy with a Rowenta Steamforce iron. It allows you to iron out any wrinkles and then flounce out the peplum with a strong burst of steam.
- In a rush and want to look fashionable for holiday party? A good ‘go-to’ item is an oversized blouse or tunic paired with comfortable black leggings and a pair of black pumps. In fact, sophisticated sportswear, such as great leggings and turtlenecks, can stand-alone or be worn as layering pieces.
- Don’t limit yourself to grays and blacks during the winter months. Bold colors are a trend this season, which can add a pop of color. If you are not ready to give up your winter neutrals, opt for brightly colored accessories.