This cool pie will be sure to please your taste buds, while keeping the sugar content low. Since this is a refrigerated pudding style pie, it makes an excellent make-ahead summer pie. However, this pie is delicious at any time of year. It is easy and quick to make.
Ingredients: Makes 1 standard sized pie
- 1 Graham style pie crust, pre-packaged or, made from scratch
- 1 package of Almond pudding Available locally at Natural Food Pantry.
- 2 cups Milk - dairy, soy, almond milk etc. (used to make pudding mix)
- 2 Tablespoons Sweetener or sugar-free Maple syrup (used to make pudding mix)
- 1 can of sliced peaches, drained, washed and patted dry
- Using a pre-packaged graham style pie shell, remove the plastic top. (Available in gluten free or regular).
- Prepare the Almond pudding package, as per their directions on the pouch:
“Measure 2 cups (500ml) of milk. Mix content of pouch with ¼ cup (60ml) of the milk and 2 Tablespoons sweetener (cane sugar or maple syrup). Set aside. Bring the remaining 1 ¾ cups (440ml) of milk to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour into bowl or serving dishes. Serve warm or chilled.”
- Pour into the graham style pie shell instead of the bowl or serving dish, suggested above.
- Smooth the pudding with a spatula.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Drain a can of sliced peaches into a colander. Note: Fresh peaches do not work as well. They are quite juicy and the juice will puddle on top of the pie.
- Wash in cool water and leave to drip dry while the pudding pie sets. Note: To speed up the process you can pat the peaches dry with paper toweling.
- Once the pudding pie is firm, arrange the peach slices into a pleasing pattern on the pie.
- Return to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Like this article? To receive free, anonymous, alerts when new articles are available from Laurie, click the ‘subscribe’ icon. Or, follow @DiabeticFoodOtt on Twitter.
Thank-you for reading this article and, sharing with others. Enjoy!