Need to bake a cake? This recipe makes it as easy as it gets.
There is nothing better than this totally inclusive recipe that whips up a cake and the frosting. Domino Sugar is ingenious for coming up with this two-part, one cake recipe. First comes the frosting, then add a few more ingredients into the mix and it transforms into the cake batter.
So whether baking a birthday cake or just a cake-for-fun, this recipe makes baking easy. Add a little food coloring into the frosting bag to jazz it up and make a personal statement. Then, top the frosting with a few colorful sprinkles for real pizazz.
If a bundt cake does not suit the occasion, bake the cake in round or square pans. Adjust the baking time accordingly to about 35 minutes. Frost the top of the cakes and sprinkle away.
All-in-One Cake & Frosting
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (2 pounds) Confectioners sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup water, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Generously grease and flour a bundt baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add confectioners sugar alternately with milk. Mix well.
- Remove 2 1/2 cups of mix. Place into a plastic resealable bag. Set aside.
- Using a mixer at slow speed, add eggs to remaining frosting. Beat until blended.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry flour mixture alternately with water to remaining mix. Mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 65 to 75 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 30 minutes.
- While cake is still warm, use knife to loosen cake edges from pan. Cool completely before removing from pan.
- Top with frosting.
Serves 8 to 10.