All I needed to know about love I didn't learn from Disney

princesses1.jpg
What happened AFTER they fell in love?
What happened AFTER they fell in love?
www.disneylandscoop.blogspot.com

How many of you women would be willing to kiss a man and wake them up from a burly slumber, sweep them off their feet, strap them to the back of your white horse and take them off to a life of love and happiness in a foreign land?

Oh, it's supposed to be the other way around? Right, thanks Disney.

I feel like many of us fail so miserably at relationships today because when it all comes down to it, we have entirely unrealistic expectations about love. As a child, we see perfect happiness strung together by a beautiful young girl who sells her voice to the "devil" for a set of legs so she can become human and fall in love with Prince Eric, the love of her life. We see a girl who is victimized and has a spell cast on her by an evil jealous queen, but is rescued by Prince Charming and taken away on a white horse. Somehow a bunch of dwarves fit into that equation as well. We see a princess who's father is keeping her trapped in the palace to marry a King, until she's swept away by a peasant and taken to "a whole new world."

See what I'm saying? I mean, of course these stories give us hope and let us know that the right man or woman is out there for us, but do you think maybe they skew our view just a liiiiiiittle? In Disney, Prince Charming is never hairy, balding or overweight, he doesn't drive a beat up pick up truck, he doesn't leave his dirty socks on the bathroom floor, he doesn't pee in the shower, and he doesn't leave skid marks in his underwear.

Unless all that happens in the sequel..... they never do show us what happens once they're living happily ever after do they?

Same goes with the Princess, though. She doesn't appear to be horrible at the dishes, she always has her hair and makeup done just so, her legs are probably always shaved, she would never spend the day sitting on her couch in flannel PJ pants and her brother's old t shirt (no I am not doing this right now what are you talking about?) she wouldn't forget to flush the toilet, and she'd never sass a man who asked her to bring him a sandwich.

See? They live in perfect harmony. We do not. And in many cases, we're not happy with it. We're all "this isn't what I signed up for, this isn't what I visioned as a little kid, when I was a young girl fantasizing about my wedding he had a lot more hair and didn't fart so much." It's called the real world, and when did it become so.... real?

Now I just want to watch The Little Mermaid. Prince Eric was always my #1 prince, maybe because he has a thing for redheads, or just because he's a total hottie.

Do you think Disney gave you false hope now that you're grown up? Or did you always just think of it as entertainment? Who do you think was the hottest Disney Prince/Princess? Really, that is the most important question.

Comments

• keepingyouawake 4 years ago

Who's the best Disney Princess? Arial without question. She's the finned, Jessica Rabbit in my opinion. Jessica Rabbit... Rawr. Interesting point; they are both gingers.

Everything is completely different. I think that the Disney story helps get things moving. He opens the doors, takes her to dinner and never stops telling her how beautiful she is. She does her hair and make-up every day, wears something cute and goes out of her way to be with him. All too often, it ends there and they both revert to sweatpants-wearing, laundry avoiding, slobs who eat too much fast food.

What Disney leaves out is the upkeep. We have to figure that out on our own.

• Griffin Chance 4 years ago

I agree that Disney has helped to skew the minds of little girls when it comes to finding "true love", but I see men who also have this unrealistic view of relationships as well. Men who, while obviously overweight, expect the perfect '10' to fall for them after a small conversation.

Honestly, I believe there needs to be more realism when it comes to Disney's portrayal of relationships. The good, the bad, and the unfortunate. These movies are great for giving our youth hope for a life of 'happily-ever-after', but teach them how to compromise it does not.

• JAG 4 years ago

I always had a soft spot for Belle - maybe it was because she was brunette and a bookworm. Plus, she fell in love with the Beast, so she wasn't all superficial. Um and Li Shang wasn't a prince or anything but he was always my favorite Disney man. I love Mulan.

• Jeney 4 years ago

I did a HUGE section on Disney Princess stories when I was a student for my Women's Studies minor. We pretty much picked them all apart until there was nothing left but pieces of ocean shell bras and broken spindles.

Of course the Disney Princess stories are completely unrealistic. But really, what romantic comedy or smooshy love story out there isn't? (Vampires sparkle? What?) Disney isn't the only culprit in unrealistic expectations about love.

The fact that Disney movies are targeted at such a young audience may be cause for concern, but I think we all eventually learn that Prince Charming just might be "hairy, balding or overweight" and the Princess probably doesn't shave her legs everyday. It just might be the hard way...

• Griffin Chance 4 years ago

• Kendall 4 years ago

What did Disney teach me about love? That as a guy unless I was stupidly attractive, I had no hope so better off. Thank you Hunchback of Notre Dame for reinforcing that one as well.

Hottest for me would either be Belle or Mulan. If only because they were the two most willing to actually do something and probably most intelligent too. Maybe Jane as well. What can I say? I find smart women sexy. *shrugs*

• Kristan 4 years ago

I ditto what Jeney said! And I agree with Griffin that men (boys?) often have false expectations too.

I don't think it's necessarily bad to show younger people what idealized relationships can look like (because Disney also shows the heroics of their male and female leads: Jasmine stood up to Jafar, Ariel took down Ursula, Snow White... okay, maybe Snow White didn't do much, but she was an early one!).

I do think it's important that realistic relationship education is given at home and in school. Not necessarily an official lesson, but through example, you know? Mom and Dad probably don't look like a Princess or Prince, and I think they have a lot more influence than Disney.

But, to answer your important questions: best boys are Eric, Aladdin, and Shang, while best girls are Ariel, Jasmine, Mulan, and Belle.