All I needed to know about love I didn't learn from Disney

princesses1.jpg

Comments

• keepingyouawake 5 years ago

Who's the best Disney Princess? Arial without question. She's the finned, Jessica Rabbit in my opinion. Jessica Rabbit... Rawr. Interesting point; they are both gingers.

Everything is completely different. I think that the Disney story helps get things moving. He opens the doors, takes her to dinner and never stops telling her how beautiful she is. She does her hair and make-up every day, wears something cute and goes out of her way to be with him. All too often, it ends there and they both revert to sweatpants-wearing, laundry avoiding, slobs who eat too much fast food.

What Disney leaves out is the upkeep. We have to figure that out on our own.

• Griffin Chance 5 years ago

I agree that Disney has helped to skew the minds of little girls when it comes to finding "true love", but I see men who also have this unrealistic view of relationships as well. Men who, while obviously overweight, expect the perfect '10' to fall for them after a small conversation.

Honestly, I believe there needs to be more realism when it comes to Disney's portrayal of relationships. The good, the bad, and the unfortunate. These movies are great for giving our youth hope for a life of 'happily-ever-after', but teach them how to compromise it does not.

• JAG 5 years ago

I always had a soft spot for Belle - maybe it was because she was brunette and a bookworm. Plus, she fell in love with the Beast, so she wasn't all superficial. Um and Li Shang wasn't a prince or anything but he was always my favorite Disney man. I love Mulan.

• Jeney 5 years ago

I did a HUGE section on Disney Princess stories when I was a student for my Women's Studies minor. We pretty much picked them all apart until there was nothing left but pieces of ocean shell bras and broken spindles.

Of course the Disney Princess stories are completely unrealistic. But really, what romantic comedy or smooshy love story out there isn't? (Vampires sparkle? What?) Disney isn't the only culprit in unrealistic expectations about love.

The fact that Disney movies are targeted at such a young audience may be cause for concern, but I think we all eventually learn that Prince Charming just might be "hairy, balding or overweight" and the Princess probably doesn't shave her legs everyday. It just might be the hard way...

• Griffin Chance 5 years ago

• Kendall 5 years ago

What did Disney teach me about love? That as a guy unless I was stupidly attractive, I had no hope so better off. Thank you Hunchback of Notre Dame for reinforcing that one as well.

Hottest for me would either be Belle or Mulan. If only because they were the two most willing to actually do something and probably most intelligent too. Maybe Jane as well. What can I say? I find smart women sexy. *shrugs*

• Kristan 5 years ago

I ditto what Jeney said! And I agree with Griffin that men (boys?) often have false expectations too.

I don't think it's necessarily bad to show younger people what idealized relationships can look like (because Disney also shows the heroics of their male and female leads: Jasmine stood up to Jafar, Ariel took down Ursula, Snow White... okay, maybe Snow White didn't do much, but she was an early one!).

I do think it's important that realistic relationship education is given at home and in school. Not necessarily an official lesson, but through example, you know? Mom and Dad probably don't look like a Princess or Prince, and I think they have a lot more influence than Disney.

But, to answer your important questions: best boys are Eric, Aladdin, and Shang, while best girls are Ariel, Jasmine, Mulan, and Belle.