It has been a criticism of the comic and graphic novel industry for awhile now--that there aren't enough stories that are heavy on superhero women nor are there enough female comic creators. But Marvel Comics is making some inroads on that front, according to a Jan. 23, 2013 article on PolicyMic.com. An all female crew of X-Men superheroes will star in their own comics, helping to break down the gender barrier just a little bit more.
Comic writer Brian Wood is helping to bring the all female cast of characters to life for the Marvel comic. It will focus on Storm, Jubilee, Rogue, and other superhero women of the X-Men universe. Of the assignment, the writer had this to say
I've always written female characters, going all the way back to my first book ever, and I'm known for it. But that aside, the X-Men are full of truly excellent female characters. I would say that on balance, the women rule the men in the x-world, hands down.
However, despite the positive impact the comic will likely have in breaking down the gender barrier, it also has drawn criticism for not having a woman write the Marvel comic book. The female superhero has slowly been having her day with shows like "X-Men Evolution," in which
all the female X-Men, tired of playing second fiddle, once took charge and chose to stake their own claim.
The Marvel Comic will be part of the April relaunch of the company's storylines. Brian Wood is the writer of the new "Star Wars" comic from Dark Horse. According to Wired.com, the all female X-Men will deal with
Jubilee bringing home an orphaned baby who might be key to mankind’s survival… Sentinels, a potential alien invasion and an ancient war between siblings.
Sources: Wired, The Guardian, PolicyMic.com
Read more about the superheroes of Marvel and DC Comics by clicking on the links in the sentences below:
- Shailene Woodley talks about being ‘excited to be’ MJ in the new Spider-Man
- Alternate DC Comics universe: Heath Ledger in the Dark Knight as Batman
- Forbes: Reps for Joseph Gordon-Levitt deny actor will play Batman
- Justice League news: Which DC Comics villain will fight Superman, Batman?
- Man of Steel news: New Superman poster reveals superhero in handcuffs
- ‘Dark Knight Rises’ app introduces new song, sounds to iTunes (Video)
- 'MIB,' 'Skyfall,' 'TDKR,' 'Spider-Man' contain most mistakes of all 2012 movies (Video)
- One Direction, 'The Avengers,' 'TDKR,' 'Hunger Games' top Wikipedia 2012 (Photos)
- 'TDKR,' 'The Dark Knight' trilogy top Christmas sales on Amazon (Video)
- 'TDKR,' 'Skyfall,' 'The Bourne Legacy' among top 10 most pirated this week (Video)
- New Man of Steel trailer shows a tortured Superman searching for identity
- ‘The Amazing Spider-Man’s’ Emma Stone covers W magazine, talks ‘drunk’ Oscars
- Iron Man Tony Stark acquires Chinese Smart devices in 3rd superhero installment
- ‘Les Miserables’ actor Hugh Jackman dishes on ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past' (Video)
- 'Iron Man 3' movie photo sends Marvel fans happy holiday wishes from Tony Stark
- Spider-Man #700 sales hit almost 2M
- Peter Parker dies in Spider-Man #700
- TDKR actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt Being Looked at for 'Guardians of the Galaxy'
- ILM releases a making-of video for Marvel Comics' 'The Avengers'
- Hugh Jackman interview with Parade gives the scoop on Wolverine movie (Video)
- X-Men director Bryan Singer to produce new ‘Twilight Zone’ TV series (Video)
- X-Men movie news: Hugh Jackman signs on for 'Days of Future Past'
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Jamie Foxx, Martin Sheen sign on (Video)
- Iron Man 3 international trailer revisits the mayhem of The Avengers
- Samuel L. Jackson says he'll appear in Captain America: Winter Soldier