As a little tike, I LOVED trains. One of my most prized possessions was a t-shirt from a railway near my home in New Jersey. I have fond memories of riding on trains in the United States, England, Scotland, and even France!
You can take your family to a train display this holiday season!
Highlandtown Train Garden
- Where: Firehouse #41, 520 S. Conkling St., Baltimore
- When: Now until January 1, 2014
- What: This is the fifth year of the Highlandtown Train Garden. Several "engineers" set up the garden in Fire House #41. This garden is a community event. Local businesses and associations who become sponsors have their names displayed in the garden. Free.
- For more information: http://www.highlandtowntraingarden.blogspot.com/
B&O Railroad Museum Holiday Festival of Trains & Toys
- Where: Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum, Baltimore
- When: Now until Tuesday, December 31, 2013
- What: Celebrate the holiday season at Baltimore’s largest holiday display of toy and model train layouts.
- For more information: www.borail.org
B&O Ellicott City Station Holiday Festival of Trains
- Where: B&) Museum, Ellicott City, Maryland
- When: Now until Sunday, January 26, 2014; on Wednesday-Sunday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Open Monday, December 30, and Tuesday, December 31.
- What: See a multi-level 360 degree LEGO layout designed by the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area LEGO Train Club with interactive lights, motors, and sounds; miniature Thomas the Tank Engine G-scale layout; children's push button layout; and N-scale layout.
- For more information: http://www.borail.org/ECS-HFOT.aspx
Hagerstown Trains of Christmas
- Where: Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum, Hagerstown
- When: Now until February 23, 2014
- What: "The Visions, Sounds and Snows of Christmas Past and Present" is an "O" gauge railroad display featuring the trains of Lionel, MTH, Williams, Weaver, and others operating in a snow scene. Also "O" and "HO" scale model railroads, trains for kids to run, artifacts, photos, gift shop, and much more.
- For more information: http://www.roundhouse.org/Events.html
- And last but not least, here's a train show you won't want to miss.
- Great Scale Model Train Show
- Where: Maryland State Fairgrounds, Timonium
- When: February 1-2, 2014
- What: A marketplace for everyone who enjoys building, operating, or simply watching scale model railroads. It's the largest show in the country dedicated to "scale" model trains.
- For more information: http://gsmts.com/