Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Alcohol's Effect in the Bedroom

Alcohol and Sexual life
Alcohol and Sexual life

After a couple drinks you may feel a little frisky but are you actually preforming better in bed? Depends on how much you have had to drink and what results you are trying to achieve. Where alcohol may be a good solution to certain problems in bed it can also be the cause of problems.

How Alcohol Can Help
Rumor has it that alcohol is an aphrodisiac but really after one or two drinks (depending on height, weight, gender, etc.) alcohol acts as a social lubricant. Alcohol can make it easier to communicate with people who are unfamiliar because it helps to lower your inhibitions and anxiety. For this reason alcohol is also helpful in the bedroom. A big part of having good sex is being relaxed and comfortable, and alcohol helps you to attain this feeling. Some women report that they feel more pleasure when they are intoxicated because of the lack of anxiety and inhibitions. Men also benefit from alcohol by helping to slow down the blood flow to their penis and prevent premature ejaculation. Both men and women report feeling less self-conscious in sexual situations when intoxicated. These benefits are highly desired by many men and women and helps to make alcohol so popular.

How Using Alcohol Can Go Wrong
Though one or two drinks doesn’t sound like much however it can effect some people negatively. In 2006 the University of Washington did a study on alcohol and its effects on erections. They took sober men and intoxicated men and asked them to achieve and erection. The sober men were able to achieve erections more quickly than the intoxicated men, and some intoxicated men could not achieve an erection at all. The reason that this occurs is because when someone is intoxicated they experience less blood volume and a rise in angiotensin which is a hormone associated with erectile dysfunction. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant which means it inhibits parts of the nervous system including those important for sexual arousal, sensitivity and orgasm. Dehydration is also a cause of alcohol consumption and can result in less oxygen circulating in the blood and therefore less sensation in the genitals. In women dehydration can also cause vaginal dryness. A study in 2004 revealed that 11% of alcohol consumers had trouble reaching orgasm. Alcohol can be dangerous when used in excess and cause its consumers to have memory loss, regret, and emotional pain. So it is very important to know your limits and be aware of how much alcohol you are consuming and how it is effecting you.

How to Achieve Optimum Results
Depending on you height, weight, and gender alcohol may affect you differently than others. The optimum blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is around a .06. For most people this can be achieved by drinking one or two beverages in an hour. To avoid dehydration a glass of water should also be consumed. Alcohol doesn’t take effect immediately, in fact only 20% of alcohol is absorbed in the stomach. The other 80% is absorbed later in the lower intestine. The liver processes the alcohol. People become overly intoxicated when consuming to much in too short a time period because the liver can only process about once ounce of alcohol per hour. If you are drinking more than one ounce of alcohol in an hour the rest of the alcohol is stored in the blood and body tissue until it can be processed by the liver. So how much is one drink? Different beverages have varying concentrations of alcohol. One drink is equivalent to one ounce of alcohol, but how much is that for all the different kinds of drinks. One drink is 12 ounces of beer, 8 ounces of malt liquor, 5 ounces of wine, 3-4 ounces of sherry or port wine, 1.5 ounces of hard liquor, and less than one ounce of grain alcohol which includes Everclear and moonshine (anything over 150 proof). As long as you are aware of how much alcohol you are consuming you can avoid the bad effects and experience the good.

While alcohol may not be an official aphrodisiac it can definitely benefit your sex life. Being more comfortable in your own skin can help you relax and focus on your own pleasure in the bedroom, and men can also benefit by being able to last longer for their partners. Though, alcohol may be beneficial it should be used with caution because consuming too much could result in regret and difficulties in the bedroom.

Report this ad