There is good reason for the name C.H. Evans Brewing Company at the Albany Pump Station. The C.H. Evans Brewing Company was founded by Cornelius H. Evans in 1786. The original brewery was built in Hudson, NY and continued production until Prohibition. The breweries beers were popular in the Northeast and the brewery reached 65,000 barrels of production. The original brewery malted much of their own barley while also bottling their own beer.
In July of 1999, Neil Evans decided to re-start his family brewery and purchased the Pump Station as a home for the new brewery. When the space was renovated, Evans decided on keeping the building's industrial feel. Evans hired George de Piro, who he met as the two were judging a home brewing contest, to be the Head Brewer. Piro had been homebrewing for five years, as well as writing for several beer publications such as Brewing Techniques.
The Albany Pump Station is the actual building in which the brewpub is housed. The large brick building was built in the 1873 and was used to pump municipal water from the Hudson River to the citizens of Albany until 1937. The building features a large red light sign that reads "Albany Pump Station" with "Brewpub and Restaurant" in smaller letters underneath, that is visible from parts of both US 9 and Interstate 787. The building has a total floor space of 8,000 and the roof is 40 feet above the floor. The inside of the building features memorabilia and pictures from the old brewery.
Several of Evans' ales have won medals with their Kick Ass Brown being the most decorated. The hoppy brown ale has won the Great American Beer Festival's Gold Medal in the American-Style Brown Ale in 2000, 2002, and 2008 as well as the World Beer Cup's Bronze Medal in 2004.