The Alabama craft beer community scored another win when it was announced in December that New Belgium Brewing Company (Fort Collins, Colorado) would soon begin distribution in our great state. That time is now and the official launch will begin on Monday, January 27 with a series of events throughout the state that will carry us into February.
New Belgium Brewing Company was born when founder Jeff Lebesch rode a "mountain bike with 'fat tires' through European villages famous for beer" back in 1989. He returned to his home in Fort Collins inspired to fire up the homebrew kit in his basement and try his hand at the recipes and ingredients he fell in love with in Belgium. After a couple years of praise and encouragement from friends and neighbors, Lebesch and Kim Jordan, CEO of New Belgium, decided to brew commercially and introduce the world to beers like the now famous Fat Tire Amber Ale. Thanks to a set of core values and beliefs and the consistent production of world-class brews, New Belgium has since grown into the 3rd largest craft brewer and 8th largest brewery in the United States. Beyond receiving awards for their beers, the brewery itself has also received recognition such as being named one of Outside Magazine’s Best Places to Work and one of the Wall Street Journal’s Best Small Businesses. The brewery has steadily grown over the years, and they are slated to open a second facility in Asheville, North Carolina in 2015. With the addition of Alabama, New Belgium products can now be found in 36 states.
To make sure their products are properly represented, the brewery has signed with four Alabama distributors: Supreme Beverage Company (North Alabama), Gulf Distributing Company (Southwest Alabama), Allstate Beverage Company (South Central Alabama), and Premium Beverage (East Central Alabama). On January 27, these distributors will begin supplying craft beer-friendly establishments throughout the state with New Belgium products available in 12 oz. bottles and cans, 22 oz. bottles, and on draft. The offerings available at launch will be as follows:
Year-round & Seasonal Offerings
- Fat Tire Amber Ale
- Ranger IPA
- Shift Pale Lager
- Snapshot Sour Wheat
- Spring Blonde Belgian Style Ale
- Trippel Belgian Style Ale
Lips of Faith Series Offerings:
- Cigar City Collaboration – Ale Brewed with Anaheim and Marash Chilies
- Coconut Curry Hefeweizen
- Wild2 Dubbel – Ale Brewed with Schisandra
- Yuzu Imperial Berliner Weisse Style Ale
Whenever a brewery like New Belgium comes to our state, you know that our fine craft beer establishments are going to extend them a proper Alabama welcome. There are many events planned all over the state for this rollout, so here is a list you can use as a reference guide **UPDATED MONDAY, JANUARY 27**:
Monday, January 27
- Anniston: All day at Heroes American Grille (8896 McClellan Blvd) - Brewery Spotlight Event
- Birmingham: 5 p.m. at Hop City Birmingham (2924 Third Avenue South) - Tasting and Rollout Event featuring all of the beers listed above.
- Birmingham: 6 p.m. at Highland Package Store (2228 Highland Avenue South) - Tap Takeover in the Hookah Bar featuring various beers from the list above.
- Birmingham: The J. Clyde (1312 Cobb Lane) - Launch Party and Tap Event featuring all of the beers listed above.
- Birmingham: 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Neighborhood Hops & Vine (1109 Dunston Avenue) - Promo Tasting Event
- Birmingham: 4:30 p.m. at Whole Foods Mountain Brook (3100 Cahaba Village Plaza) - Promo Tasting Event
- Daphne: 6 p.m. at Mellow Mushroom Daphne (29698 Frederick Blvd) - Promo Launch Event
- Dothan: 12:01 a.m. at Oak & Olive (2620 Montgomery Highway) - Midnight Promo Launch Event
- Florence: All day at On the Rocks (110 N. Court Street) - Brewery Spotlight Event
- Florence: All day at The Pie Factory (106 N. Court St) - Brewery Spotlight Event
- Huntsville: 5 p.m. at Below the Radar (220 Holmes Ave. NE) - Brewery Spotlight featuring all of the beers listed above.
- Huntsville: 5 p.m. at End Zone Sports Bar and Grill (1909 University Dr NW) - Brewery Spotlight
- Huntsville: All day at Liquor Express (1802 University Drive) - Brewery Spotlight featuring five beers on draft several more available in bottles and cans.
- Huntsville: 5 p.m. at The Nook (3305 Bob Wallace Avenue) - Brewery Spotlight featuring Fat Tire.
- Madison: 5 p.m. at The Stem & Stein (10871 County Line Rd. Suite B) - Brewery Spotlight Event
- Madison: 4 p.m. at Wish You Were Beer (7407 US Highway 72, Suite G) - Launch Event featuring Fat Tire and 4 to 6 other offerings available on draft. Various bottled and canned offerings will be available for purchase as well. Reps will be present with "swag and goodies".
- Mobile: 6 p.m. at Baumhower's Wings (3673 Airport Blvd) - Promo Launch Event
- Mobile: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Cottage Hill Package Store (6376 Cottage Hill Rd.) - Promo Launch Event and Tasting
- Mobile: 12:01 a.m. at LoDa Bier Garten (251 Dauphin Street)- Midnight Promo Launch Event
- Mobile: 8 p.m. at Mellow Mushroom Midtown (2032 Airport Blvd) - Promo Launch Event
- Mobile: 12:01 a.m. at Myers Market Airport (4684 Airport Blvd) - Midnight Promo Launch Event
- Montgomery: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Leroy Lounge (2752 Boultier Street) - Promo Launch Event
- Northport: 5 p.m. at Billy's Sports Grill (430 Main Avenue) - Brewery Spotlight and Tap Takeover
- Oxford: All day at Mellow Mushroom Oxford/Anniston (33 Industrial Drive) - Brewery Spotlight Event
- Prattville: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Mellow Mushroom Prattville (2641 Legends Parkway) - Brewery Spotlight Event featuring Fat Tire
- Tuscaloosa: 7 p.m. at Buffalo Wild Wings (2710 McFarland Blvd E) - Brewery Spotlight and Tap Takeover featuring five offerings.
- Tuscaloosa: 5 p.m. at Copper Top (2300 4th Street) - Brewery Spotlight Event
- Tuscaloosa: All day at Wilhagan's (2209 4th Street) - Brewery Spotlight Event
- Orange Beach: 5 p.m. at Cosmo's Restaurant & Bar (25753 Canal Rd) - Promo Launch Event
Tuesday, January 28
- Fairhope: 5:30 p.m. at McSharry's Irish Pub (101 North Bancroft Street) - Promo Launch Event
- Fairhope: All day at My Place Downtown (68 North Bancroft Street) - Promo Launch Event
- Foley: 6 p.m. at Mellow Mushroom Foley (2303 South McKenzie St) - Promo Launch Event
- Mobile: 6 p.m. at Mellow Mushroom Old Shell (5660 Old Shell Road) - Promo Launch Event
- Mobile: 7 p.m. at Moe's Original BBQ (701 Spring Hill Ave) - Promo Launch Event
- Montgomery: 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at The Tipping Point (5015 Hampstead High St) - Promo Launch Event
Wednesday, January 29
- Fairhope: 5 p.m. at Cain's Piggly Wiggly (903 Fairhope Ave) - Promo Launch Event
- Fairhope: 6 p.m. at Old 27 Grill (19992 AL Hwy 181) - Promo Launch Event
- Mobile: 6 p.m. at Buffalo Wild Wings (6341 Airport Blvd) - Promo Launch Event
- Mobile: 6 p.m. at Heroes Sports Bar & Grille (273 Dauphin St) - Promo Launch Event
- Montgomery: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Mellow Mushroom Montgomery (7915 Vaughn Rd) - Promo Launch Event
- Montgomery: 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at PepperTree Steaks N' Wines (8101 A Vaughn Rd) - Promo Launch Event for $10 per person and includes a beer tasting ticket, gourmet appetizers and a keepsake beer tasting glass.
- Oxford: **RESCHEDULED TO WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 12 ON ACCOUNT OF WEATHER** 6 p.m. at Mellow Mushroom Oxford/Anniston (33 Industrial Drive) - Launch Party featuring Fat Tire and two other offerings.
Thursday, January 30
- Daphne: 5 p.m. at Moe's Original BBQ (6423 Park Dr, Daphne) - Promo Launch Event
- Fairhope: 7 p.m. at Gumbo Shack (212 1/2 Fairhope Ave) - Promo Launch Event
- Mobile: 8 p.m. at Alchemy Tavern (7 S. Joachim Street) - Promo Launch Event
- Mobile: 6 p.m. at Heroes Sports Bar & Grille (36 Hillcrest Road) - Promo Launch Event
- Montgomery: 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Derk's Filet & Vine (431 Cloverdale Rd) - Promo Launch Event
- Orange Beach: 6 p.m. at Ginny Lane Bar & Grill (4780 Wharf Parkway) - Promo Launch Event
Friday, January 31
- Mobile: 6 p.m. at Momma Goldberg's (3696B Airport Blvd) - Promo Launch Event featuring beer specials and "Fat Tire swag".
- Mobile: 7:30 p.m. at O'daly's Irish Pub (564 Dauphin Street) - Promo Launch Event featuring four offerings. Buy the pint, keep the glass
- Montgomery: 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Irish Bred Pub (78 Dexter Avenue) - Promo Launch Event
- Montgomery: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Pine Bar (501 Cloverdale Rd.) - Promo Launch Event
- Point Clear: 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Grand Hotel Marriott Resort (One Grand Boulevard) - Promo Launch Event featuring a free sampling of Fat Tire, Ranger IPA and Spring Blonde. Grand Steakhouse and Saltwater Grill will begin serving Fat Tire for $2.
Thursday, February 6
- Homewood: 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Homewood Piggly Wiggly (3000 Independence Drive) - Tasting event featuring various offerings.
Friday, February 7
- Mountain Brook: 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at River Run Piggly Wiggly (3800 River Run Drive) - Tasting event featuring various offerings.
There are many events still in the planning stage, so this list will continue to grow as I get more information once all the details are nailed down. If you are holding an event or know of an event and would like to see it listed, please feel free to email me the details and I'll be happy to post that information.
If there is an event in your area or nearby, I urge you all to try to attend at least one of these events. New Belgium is hitting our market with several interesting and tasty brews, and these events are perfect to use as a means to introduce yourself to their offerings and discuss them with representatives from the brewery and/or distributor. You can learn a lot, meet some new people, and just have a good time celebrating another fine craft brewery making its way to Alabama. You can't go wrong. Prost!