"Cherish, therefore, the spirit of our people, and keep alive their attention. Do not be too severe upon their errors but reclaim them by enlightening them. If once they become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress, and Assemblies, Judges, and Governors, shall all become wolves." Thomas Jefferson
"I weep for the liberty of my country when I see at this early day of it's successful experiment that corruption has been imputed to many members of the House of Representatives, and the rights of the people have been bartered for promises of office." Andrew Jackson
It is a sad state of affairs in Alabama and across this nation. We, as Alabamians have failed to keep our elected officials federal, state, municipal, and county accountable. We were once represented by statesmen, but are now fleeced and tread upon by mere career politicians. The American people once roared like lions for liberty, but most now bleat like sheep for security. The result are Presidents, members of Congress, Governors, Mayors, and city councils that betray their oaths of office, our Constitution, and the trust of the American people.
These double talking politicians have become the wolves that Jefferson warned about. We too like Jackson should weep for the liberties of our country. We should then do our best to channel the spirit of Patrick Henry and loudly declare; " Don't Tread On Me!" If we are to save our state and nation; we must wake up and take action.
Machiavelli's The Prince contained the following rules for leaders:
- Arrogance is a better attribute than humility. (Describes most in Congress.)
- Lie, cheat, and deceive in order to attain one's goals. (Remind anyone of a sitting scandal ridden administration.)
- Being feared is better than being loved.
- Appear virtuous in order to gain favor of the peons (aka constituents)
- Keep your subjects loyal by keeping them dependent upon you. (Obamaphones, welfare, food stamps, gimme, gimme, gimme....)
- Never tell the truth except as a means to an end. (Fast and Furious, Benghazi, etc....)
- Use war as a tool to advance your policies. (Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria?????)
- Utilize propaganda as a weapon to vilify your enemies. (Media)
The majority of politicians in office are card board cutouts of Niccollo Machiavelli's The Prince (1513). Instead of the statesmen who gave birth to our nation; we have degenerated into would be rulers motivated purely by the acquisition and maintenance of their power. Most just simply don't have our best interest at heart.
We yearn for a return to the real principled leadership of our Founders. Leadership the promotes individual freedom (not the abrogation of), individualism (not cookie cutter socialist clones), less government (not regimented tyranny), and responsible spending (not gross waste). We need leaders at all levels of government from DC to city hall with intellect, energy, strength, and character. We are experiencing, however, a seats of power void of these. Nature abhors a vacuum and evils quickly fills it.
We must choose what we will leave our descendents.
- Joy or misery.
- Freedom or oppression.
- Abundance or want.
- A name or a number.
- A Constitutional Republic or a Socialist cesspool.
- The Americanism of our Founders or the Progressivism of our current President.
The battle rages, the call to action has been issued, but those currently in the foxholes are few. The Republic our Founders left us is worth fighting for. Freedom is too valuable to squander away through citizen apathy and indifference.
Too many sit idly by as the foundations of the Republic are intentionally eroded. Too many neglect their God given right to stand fast against those hacking away at the chains of the Constitution. The opponents of liberty and Americanism are very zealous in their resolve and efforts. Should we be as zealous in our efforts to preserve and maintain our freedom.
Are you willing to look your grandchildren in the eye and tell them you did nothing. The time to act and pray for liberty is now while hope remains. We can save the Republic and restore her foundations. Freedom must be exercised if it is to survive for our forbears. Freedom is at stake and vigilance - eternal vigilance is required to preserve it. If you are not willing to fight to preserve it don't be too vocal in lamenting it's loss.
We have seen:
- Gambling corruption in the halls of Montgomery.
- Jefferson County, AL Commissioners display an epidemic of debt, misspending, waste, bribery, etc..leaving a $4 billion dollar debt hole.
These are but two examples of out of control government allowed because the citizenry stood idly by.
We have also seen action taken by fed up citizens that made a difference:
- Valley,AL- Misguided members of the Valley City Council in a knee jerk reaction passed an illegal handgun ordinance. The "I support the Constitution but..." mentality of these leaders was met by the staunch resolve of a small contingent of members of Alabama Gun Rights. The illegal ordinance was repealed shortly thereafter.
- Alabama Sheriffs still pouting from the fresh defeat of their opposition to Alabama's S.B. 286 have been outright lying to business owners in order to force a backdoor prohibition to the lawful open carry of a firearm. Again observant members of groups like Alabama Open Carry and BamaCarry have been educating these business owners and trying to hold these oath breaking Sheriffs and Police chiefs accountable.
- The Lanett, AL City Council proposes a 2 1/2% sales tax increase; which was met with opposition from a local group-Operation Accountability (Facebook). Their efforts to educate the public led to a public hearing on the subject. A few local business owners protested the tax increase as detrimental to the local economy. The elitist mayor and "I support the Constitution but...." council would have preferred to sneak this tax in with no citizen input. Time will tell if they will heed the voice of the people or act as princes.
We must come to grips with the fact that silence is consent. If no one speaks in opposition to political aims it is seen as implied consent. The only way to correct this problem is for Alabamians to wake up, get up, and speak up. If they don't then they should shut up. Whining and lamentations after the fact are useless. Take action while you can make a difference. The future and the future for your grandchildren hang in the balance. What say you, Alabama?
The recent motorcycle ride to DC shows that your voice can be heard and being vocal scares those in power. They prefer bleating sheep; not roaring lions. We will see soon the rumbling of diesel engines as Truckers across the country head to DC or shut their trucks down in protest from October 11-13. Take part in some action to add your voice to the chorus.