Looking for a family-oriented beach on the west side of Maui? Need a beach park with good facilities and a grassy area for the kids? Look no further than Airport Beach in the Kaanapali area of Lahaina.
Airport Beach is actually named Ali'i Kahekili Nua Ahumanu Beach Park. It's located conveniently off Hwy. 30, just north of the main Kaanapali Beach Resort area. It's known for calm water in the morning, clear visibility just off the steep, sandy beach, and a good spot for snorkeling and swimming.
Airport Beach also has very nice facilities, including picnic tables with grill stations. An outside shower is available and there's plenty of free parking nearby. It's a good place to spend a half-day just swimming, snorkeling, and sun bathing.
- Good family beach but be careful with small children as the water can sometimes be a bit rough.
- Excellent restroom facilities and showers, along with picnic tables and grill stations.
- Calm, clear water that can get deep just 10 yards into the ocean.
- Excellent, free parking with easy wheelchair access, along with grassy areas for children to play.
- Centrally-located on the west side of Maui, just north of Lahaina Town and the Kaanapali Resort Area.
- Not the best snorkeling, but it can be good on some days and it's common to see a turtle or two.
- The beach is not recommended for beginning snorkelers or those that have not been in the ocean much.
- The ocean can be fairly rough in the early afternoon, beginning about 2 p.m.
- There is no lifeguard nor a convenience store close to the park. Pack It In - Pack It Out.
Take Hwy. 30 to the west side of Maui. Pass through the traffic lights in the town of Lahaina, and keep going north past the 2-lane turn to your left into the Kaanapali Resort Area. A mile or so ahead is a traffic light at Kai Ala Drive. Turn toward the ocean and go straight. You'll pass the big sign for the beach park, and the parking lot is highly visible ahead of you.
- Go early in the morning when the water is much calmer and the ocean is much clearer.
- Take water and snacks with you, as there is no convenience store nearby.
- Walk the boardwalk in both directions and enjoy some of Maui's newest resorts.
- Watch small children closely, as the sandy beach drops quickly once you enter the water.
- Walk along the beach toward the north for mile, enter the water, and float back to your belongings on Airport Beach.
- Of course, keep valuables locked in the trunk of your vehicle.
Tripadvisor Reviews are a good way to see what others think of Airport Beach.
The island of Oahu is the most visited Hawaiian island, with Waikiki Beach and Pearl Harbor being two of the main attractions. Maui is a smaller island that is known for great beaches, snorkeling, and shopping in the town of Lahaina on the west side of the island.
Another island to visit is Lanai, by taking the ferry from Lahaina to visit another Hawaiian island.
Top 10 Maui Restaurants.
- Mama's Fish House is one of the most well-known restaurants on Maui.
- In Lahaina Town, try Lahaina Grill. It's one of the best restaurants on Maui.
- Merriman's Hawaiian Restaurant in Kapalua has won many awards for outstanding food.
- The Pineapple Grill in Kapalua is a popular, upscale restaurant popular with locals and tourists alike.
- On the west side of Maui, try Star Noodle. It's one of the most popular restaurants on the island.
- The Plantation House in Kapalua offers an excellent fine dining experience.
- Sarento's On The Beach in the Kihei area of Maui is always recognized for outstanding food and service.
- Hali' imaile General Store has pleased customers since opening in 1988 with its upcountry location.
- Japengo At The Maui Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa is a recent addition to the Top 10 Restaurants on Maui.
- Roy's in Ka'anapali has consistently been one of the top restaurants on Maui, Hawaii.
Maui's Top Attractions.
- Haleakala National Park lets you visit one of the most rare sights in the world at over 32,000 feet.
- The Road To Hana takes a full day but is one of the most famous drives in the world.
- One of the wettest and most beautiful valleys on all the Hawaiian islands is at Iao Valley.
- Visit 7 Sacred Pools (Ohe'o Gulch) past Hana on the far windward side of Maui.
- A "must-see" beach is Big Beach at Makena State Park on the southwest side of Maui, Hawaii.
- Lahaina Town & Banyan Tree on the west side of Maui is a historic whaling town with much to see.
- Stroll through gardens with over 45 varieties of lavender at the Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm.
- One of Maui's top-rated family attractions in the Maui Ocean Center.
- Maui Tropical Plantation offers rides through a tropical plantation and has a fun zipline.
- The Sugar Museum is located on Hawaii's largest working sugar factory.