With the holidays just around the corner, some might be thinking of accessories for their new iPad Air. In past articles, I’ve mentioned that a case/keyboard is a great item to have, as it turns your iPad into a mini-laptop. The one I prefer, the ZAGG for the iPad Air, is still not available.
Knowing this, I purchased NewTrent’s Airbender 2.0, clamshell case/keyboard from Amazon. This particular case has singular features that sound great. Here’s a short list of the Airbender 2.0's options:
- a clip that allows you to detach the iPad Air so you can use the device separately
- a built-in metal stand with multiple typing/viewing angles
- a protective clamshell case
- a full keyboard with multi-function keys, allowing for a great typing experience
- 360° rotation clip, allowing for landscape and portrait views, plus flipping the iPad around so others can see
When I tried this case/keyboard, each option worked great on its own. Yes, the keyboard was great; the 360° rotation stand worked well; the case, itself, is durable, small, and light; and the separation clip was easy to engage.
None of these features, for me, however, worked together. As a result, using the Airbender 2.0 was an uncomfortable and non-workable case/keyboard experience. Here’s my short list:
- the metal stand only allowed me to type in portrait mode; this made the device, in the case, top-heavy and unsteady
- when I tried to type in landscape mode, the iPad Air floated on the stand, preventing me from finding a comfortable typing/viewing position; the iPad Air, in the case, had a tendency to tip
- shutting the case does not turn off your iPad Air (like most cases do)
- I couldn’t find a comfortable position on a table or in my lap, making this, for me, a useless case/keyboard
The Airbender 2.0 case retails at Amazon for $69.95, gets 4.5 stars, and great reviews. I, however, am returning it. Here is Amazon's link for the Airbender 2.0 case/keyboard:
I have just ordered the Bear Motion case/keyboard for the iPad Air. Right now, it’s on sale at Amazon, for $26.99 (regular price $49.99). Here is Amazon's link for the Bear Motion keyboard:
I’ll keep you posted as to how it works out. As I always say, a tech device is only as good as the case that makes you happy.