The buzz started Friday, January 25, 2013 when some Instagram users found their accounts had been blocked and shortly after received emails from the social network requesting valid photo ID in order to reinstate their accounts. It's true and legitimate, some Facebook and Instagram end-user accounts are being blocked pending receipt of acceptable form(s) of identification which include:
- Government issued photo ID
- Birth Certificate
"When we receive evidence of a violation of our site policies, we respond. This isn't a recent change, but the way we've run our community from the beginning. In some specific cases, for verification purposes, we request that people upload a government issued ID in response. This is the case for a very small percentage of accounts, and doesn't affect most Instagram users. The ID is used only for account verification, and not retained permanently."
- You must be at least 13 years old to use the Service.
- You may not post violent, nude, partially nude, discriminatory, unlawful, infringing, hateful, pornographic or sexually suggestive photos or other content via the Service.
- You must not defame, stalk, bully, abuse, harass, threaten, impersonate or intimidate people or entities and you must not post private or confidential information via the Service, including, without limitation, your or any other person's credit card information, social security or alternate national identity numbers, non-public phone numbers or non-public email addresses.
Facebook specifically states in reference to true identity:
- You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
Further, both social mediums clearly state:
We reserve the right to modify or terminate the Service or your access to the Service for any reason, without notice, at any time, and without liability to you.
- End-users imply compliance upon access, use, and registration of the networks.
If you have not read the terms in their entirety you may access them here:
FYI, Instagram is currently hiring! If you're a talented engineer or designer check out their jobs page.