Give me that old-time religion…
It’s an extreme form of punishment, there is no doubt. So what did the woman do to incur hubby’s wrath? Was she unfaithful? Did she spread nasty rumors about his sexual prowess? Nope. She was sentenced to death for going to the market without his permission.
The incident took place on Sunday in the Chahar Dara district, according to Sarwar Hussaini, who said that the murderer, identified only as Khodaidad, killed his 24-year-old wife in their home when she returned from going shopping….
Despite the social advances made with the fall of the Taliban regime 12 years ago, women's rights in Afghanistan continue to be systematically abused or ignored.
Gee, ya think? The article notes that in May, the Afghan Parliament rejected a law that would make sexual violence against women a crime. Between March and October 2012, there were more than 4,000 cases of violence against women, according to Afghanistan's Independent Human Rights Commission.
In the meantime, the murderous husband got out of Dodge after the killing, and his whereabouts are currently unknown.
- Iran: Woman too sexy for public office
- Islamists storm apartment of ‘immodest’ Muslims, kill unborn child
- End of Ramadan: Obama gifts an additional quarter billion dollars to Syrian Muslims
- Ramadan: Terror toys a big seller at the end of Muslim observance
- Guilty: Muslim cleric penned hate letters to families of dead troops
- Pakistan: TV show seeks rating in baby giveaway