Interested in running, fun, and maybe a weekend away? The New England area boasts a myriad of 5k races with fun twists. Many are close enough to Boston for Bostonians to arrive at their wave times and be home for dinner; or, if you just need to get away from the city for a night, you can make a weekend trip to some of these unique New England 5k races.
- Freedom Trail Run (Boston, MA): Explore Boston’s Freedom Trail on a guided run with registration for races available every Saturday and Sunday through April 21st. For $40, you receive a guided running tour of historic Boston, a t-shirt, and a return ride on a ferry.
- BoldrDash (Westerly, RI; May 18-19): Run a military-style course with twenty obstacles along Misquamicut State Beach at the start of summer. Registration is $65 until February 14th, $70 until March 14th, $75 until April 31st, and $80 after May 1st. With registration, you receive a free t-shirt (as long as you sign up before April 28th), and many other perks such as an after-party with free massages.
- Superhero Scramble (Amesbury, MA; June 8): This 5k obstacle course features over twenty obstacles, from rock walls to the “leap of faith” and “SUPER SLIME slide.” Register for $66 through March 5, $73 through April 3, $79 through May 7, and $89 until May 28.
- Color Me Rad 5k (Boston, MA; July 13): While the location has not yet been announced, Color Me Rad 5k will be in the Boston area. Begin at the start line with a pure white shirt and cross the finish line covered in a rainbow of colors. Registration has not opened yet, but check the website for updates.
- 5k Foam Fest (Haverhill, MA; July 13): With 15 to 30 different obstacles throughout the course, it features mud and foam along the 3.1 miles. Upon finishing the race, receive a shirt, a medal and if you’re 21 or older, a beer, along with other fun freebies. There’s also a feeding station at the end of the race with energy bars and fruit. This isn’t just a race; it’s a festival with a foam pit, pull-up bar, limbo contest and even a bouncy house. Register for $50 for another 65 days; 90 days before the race, pay $60; 30 days before the race, pay $65; week of the race, pay $70; and the day of the race, pay $75.
Look out for other fun 5k races in the region as dates are planned and registrations open closer to the race day, such as The Color Run in Boston. Know of any more fun 5k runs? Comment below!