Under the Affordable Care Act, health insurance companies will be set up in exchanges to provide coverage to people within a state. Little is known about the details of how the exchanges will work in Wisconsin. Currently thirteen companies have been reviewed by the Wisconsin Insurance commission and will be part of the Wisconsin health exchange program.
The question for many is whether these insurance companies will cover acupuncture and related medical services. The details of the final products that these companies will sell in the exchange marketplace has not been determined. Below is a list of the companies and what is known about their policies based on web information and in some cases responses from direct inquiries on this subject. Note that some of these companies are very regional and will only be providing services in particular parts of the state.
Acupuncture is covered
- Group Health Cooperative of South Central Wisconsin (in their own clinics)
Acupuncture may be covered
- Medica Health Plans of Wisconsin
- Physicians Plus Insurance Corporation (coverage for pain with many restrictions)
- Unity Health Plans Insurance Corp. (discounts for acupuncture may be available)
- Arise (WPS Health Plan, Inc.)
Acupuncture is excluded
- Dean Health Plan, Inc.
- Gundersen Health Plan, Inc.
- MercyCare HMO, Inc.
- Molina Healthcare of Wisconsin, Inc.
- Security Health Plan of Wisconsin, Inc.
No acupuncture coverage information is available