One in two Americans has pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes, and about 70 percent of adults and 40 percent of children are overweight. But there's a holistic solution, says Dr. Mark Hyman. You can activate your body's natural fat-burning abilities and boost weight loss with his "scientifically-designed medical detox from sugar and flour," he declared in a recent article for the Huffington Post.
Dr. Hyman details his holistic plan for helping you jump-start weight loss and boost fat-burning in his new book: "The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet: Activate Your Body's Natural Ability to Burn Fat and Lose Weight Fast" (click for more information).
"Americans eat 146 pounds of sugar and 152 pounds of flour every year. That's almost a pound of sugar and flour for every man, woman, and child in America every single day," warns Dr. Hyman.
He recommends his detox plan for those who feel unwell most of the time, as well as for those who have "diabesity." If you have the following symptoms, Dr. Hyman says his detox diet may help:
- Bloating and fluid retention
- Constipation, diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, or reflux
- Congestion, allergies, asthma, sinus issues
- Brain fog
- Depression, anxiety, trouble focusing
- Weight gain or trouble losing weight
- Bad skin--acne, eczema, psoriasis
- Joint or muscle pain or aching
- Canker sores
- Autoimmune diseases
- Any chronic disease
In addition, Dr. Hyman is concerned about those struggling with food addiction. Do you think you might be among those fighting that battle? He cites these symptoms:
- You worry about cutting down on certain foods.
- You feel sluggish or fatigued from overeating.
- You have health or social problems (affecting school or work) because of food issues and yet keep eating the way you do despite negative consequences.
- You have spent time dealing with negative feelings from overeating certain foods, instead of spending time in important activities, such as time with family, friends, work, or recreation.
- You have had withdrawal symptoms, such as agitation and anxiety, when you cut down on certain foods (do not include caffeinated drinks like coffee, tea, and energy drinks in this).
- Your behavior with respect to food and eating causes you significant distress.
- Issues related to food and eating decrease your availability to function effectively (daily routine, job/school, social or family activities, health difficulties).
- You need more and more of the foods you crave to experience any pleasure or to reduce negative emotions.
So how does Dr. Hyman's detox diet work?
The detox I recommend works because it removes all Frankenfoods (food-like substances) and all addictive foods, chemicals, and drugs for just 10 days, so the body can reboot and reset. Think of it as turning your body back to its original factory settings.
This is no deprivation; it is about abundance and pleasure -- and recognizing that by giving the body a break from junk, the cravings, chronic symptoms, and blood sugar imbalances can be easily overcome for most.
On Dr. Hyman's list of foods to avoid during the detox diet: Sugar (in any form), gluten, and dairy (inflammatory foods), grains, beans, processed factory-made foods, refined vegetable oils, alcohol, and caffeine.
On his list of foods to enjoy: "Real, whole, fresh food, including food that boosts liver detox pathways, reduces inflammation, balances blood sugar, improves gut function, and normalizes gut bacteria. (Bad bugs in the gut are increasingly linked to weight gain and inflammation.) Also "in" are gentle exercise, hydration, journaling, detox supplements (a multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin D, and a special fiber called PGX), deep relaxation, adequate sleep (7-8 hours), and a balanced daily rhythm."
Get the complete detox diet, including weight loss tips and a guide to a healthy, happy lifestyle, by clicking here for "The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet: Activate Your Body's Natural Ability to Burn Fat and Lose Weight Fast."