The Association of California School Administrators was established in 1971. ACSA is the largest umbrella organization for school leaders in the nation, serving more than 16,000 school leaders.
ACSA will be providing multiple workshops:
“Common Core: What Now?”
Educators and parents should understand that California has joined the majority of the United States in adopting new education standards for mathematics and language arts.
Many are trying to understand the implications. Reactions are mixed and ACSA is taking the initiative to act. These new standards will drive new curriculum and assessments.
"The dilemma is how to lead the changes that will be required to ensure a smooth transition...."
Common Core: What Now? acknowledges it is district and school leaders who will create a successful transition to CCSS and the Smarter Balanced Assessment. This transition will require a deep understanding of 21st century learning and teaching, as well as strategies for thinking critically about complex issues.
Three processes that will be helpful in this transition are collaborative discussion; technology-based inquiry; and differentiated instruction.
In this ACSA workshop, participants will:
- engage in a collaborative seminar about cognitive depth;
- use technology to explore resources about collaboration, communication, critical thinking, creativity, grit, curiosity and character;
- apply principles of differentiated instruction to learn about issues related to academic rigor; and
- collect data about effective use of 21st century learning and teaching strategies, and use that data to create meaningful discussions.
So how do educators use technology to explore resources about:
- critical thinking
- curiosity, and
The technology that will be used in this workshop...
This is a BYOD – Bring Your Own Device – workshop. Please bring a fully charged laptop computer, iPad or Android pad that can connect to the Internet. Wifi will be available.
The workshop is being offered from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., working lunch included, in several locations, including:
- Sacramento, ACSA office, Feb. 21.
- Ceres USD, March 15.
- Levy Center, Torrance, March 21.
- Ontario, ACSA office, April 26.
For registration materials, visit www.acsa.org/commoncore or call (800) 608-ACSA.