When it comes to a job interview, the stakes have never been higher than they are now. If you’ve made it past the gatekeeper and gotten an interview, you’re in the homestretch of your job search. Implement these five, common sense steps into your interview strategy and greatly increase the odds of landing the job of your dreams.
- Recognize that they want to hire you. Your job is to present yourself in such a manner that reinforces that decision. Show up on time..not even one minute late. Dress for success. Be prepared. Know a little about the company. Know more about yourself.
- Provide specific answers. Nothing sinks an interview more than vagueness and general responses to direct questions. When you’re asked a question, don’t dance around the answer. Instead, answer it directly and completely.
- Don’t be afraid of your weaknesses. The person interviewing you has made mistakes. So have you. When asked, don’t be shy about answering the question, but be sure to do so in a positive way. The best strategy is to admit your mistake and explain how you used it to get an even better result. Never, under any circumstances, make excuses.
- Don’t confuse arrogance with confidence. They want to hire a confident worker. The last thing they need is another arrogant one. If you aren’t sure of the difference, learn it before the interview. Confidence covers a lot of flaws. Arrogance exposes them.
- Don’t tell them what you need. Instead, help them understand what you bring. They’re not going to hire you because you need a job. They’re going to hire you because they believe you can help them solve their problems.