Abraham Lincoln had a long record of perseverance in his life:
- In 1831 his attempts at a business venture failed.
- In 1832 he lost the election for the state legislature.
- In 1833 Mr. Lincoln had another business venture that had proved unsuccessful.
- In 1835 his future wife passed away, practically destroying him.
- In 1843 another attempt in politics proved unsuccessful as his election for congress was defeated.
- In 1848 Mr. Lincoln again failed to win a seat in the congress.
- In 1855 his attempt at politics had been defeated as he had lost the US senate elections.
- 1856 he attempted to run for vice president and once again he was defeated.
- Another attempt to run for the state senate in 1859 had once again failed.
- Finally after many attempts, Abraham Lincoln's perseverance paid off and he became the 16th President of The United States in 1860. That's almost 30 years after his first business adventure failed!
Here's the recipe Lincoln followed:
1. Read the Bible. One way young Abe learned how to read was by reading the Bible.
2. Apply the Bible to your daily life: Mr. Lincoln used many principles of the Bible in his life, such as men being created equal and a house divided against itself cannot stand. He used these as a guide to his personal life and to rule the country.
3. Trust God and never give up. Abraham Lincoln faced a lot of failure in his life, but he didn't give up. Each time he tried things a little differently or from a different angle. However, he did suffer from depression, but he didn't even allow that to ruin the purpose for which he was created. We can learn a lot from Mr. Lincoln.
Thank you for you perseverance Mr. Lincoln and for this lesson for all of us!