With nearly half the nation covered in freezing temps and wintry weather conditions, now is the perfect time for spring break and summer travel planning. ABC Travel Guides for Kids has named its picks for family travel destinations in 2014.
From the midwest and New England to the Big Apple, the nation's capital and the sands of the Atlantic Ocean, here are the top seven picks for where to vacation in 2014.
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin – Kayak through downtown, ride on a Harley and step back in time on the Streets of Old Milwaukee at the Public Museum. Kids will enjoy a Milwaukee Food Pizza Bus Tour and visiting the Palermo Pizza Factory. Visit the Melthouse Bistro for gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches and save room for Leon’s and Kopp’s frozen custard. A really cool photo op is the Bronz Fonz, of "Happy Days" fame, statue along the Wilwaukee Riverwalk. The kids will have no clue, but the adults can revel in a bit of pop history.
- Washington, D.C. – Making the list three years in a row, the nation’s capital offers history, culture and lots of free family fun. Visit the Smithsonian Museums and the National Zoo. Spring offers the fun and beauty of the National Cherry Blossom Festival. ABC Travel recommends the D.C. Grand Hyatt. The Gaylord National, just outside of D.C., is another great lodging choice.
- Miami, Florida – Miami is full of adventure, art, food, culture and sunny beaches. Check out attractions such as Monkey Jungle and Coral Castle or take a Grace Della food tour. Soak up the sun and fun at South Beach. ABC Travel recommends The Palms Hotel & Spa in Miami Beach.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – Walk through the giant heart at the Franklin Institute and visit Magic Gardens and Jim’s Steaks on South Street. Don’t forget to take snap a shot next to the Rocky statue before racing the kids to the top of the steps at the Art Museum. ABC Travel recommends Kimpton properties and Le Meridien for lodging.
- North of Boston region, Massachusetts – Visit Cape Ann, Gloucester, Rockport and Salem. Take a mansion tour at Hammond Castle and Beauport, and walk to the end of Bearskin Neck in Rockport. Soak in the old school arcade fun at Joe’s Playland in Salisbury. ABC Travel recommends the Yankee Clipper and Rockport Inn and Suites for lodging and Woodman’s for great seafood.
- Times Square, New York – Visit the Times Square Museum & Visitors Center. see a Broadway show or check out the weird and wonderful fun of Ripley’s New York at Times Square. Ride the giant Ferris wheel inside Toys-R-Us. Check out the Wall of Chocolate and learn your Color Mood at the M&M superstore.
- Baltimore, Maryland – Visit the Inner Harbor’s National Aquarium, Science Center and Ripley attractions well as the Visionary Art Museum. Take a water taxi to Fells Point and then walk to Little Italy for sweet treats. The Shot Tower, Star-Spangled Banner Flag House and African American Museum are all nearby. For foodie fun, visit McCormick’s World of Flavors.
ABC Travel Guides for Kids produces and publishes all-in-one alphabet, activity and souvenir guides specifically designed for kids. Check them out at KidsTravelGuides.com.