Cocoa Beach is on the east coast, a 2 ½ hour drive down I-95 from Jacksonville. One of the biggest draws to this area is Ron Jon’s Surf Shop, which gets about two million visitors a year. If you’ve traveled I-95 or I-4 in Florida you’ve probably seen the signs of bikini-clad women telling you to come see it for yourself. It is the world's largest surf shop at 52,000 square feet. Open 24 hours a day, this shop has just about anything you need for the beach.
This six mile long, less than a mile wide spot gives off a small beach-town vibe. Cocoa Beach is known as the “surfing capital of the East Coast” because, in addition to Ron Jon’s it is also home to the East Coast Surfing Hall of Fame. Here you can see the new exhibit of O’Hare surfboards. Being near Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral is another draw for visitors.
Be sure to watch the video - it not only shows Kennedy Space Center, but Cocoa Beach as well!
Some other things to do in Cocoa Beach:
- The annual Beach Fest in May
- The annual Space Coast Art Festival which has been going on for 50 years
- Sunday Farmers Market from 9am-3pm year-round
- The Ron Jon Easter Surfing Festival
- The largest charity surfing festival, the National Kidney Foundation Pro-Am Surfing Festival, every year on Labor Day weekend
- The Cocoa Beach Pier with five restaurants, four bars and gift shops in addition to the 800 foot fishing pier.
- Annual Pirate Party at the pier in January