Now that the warmth of summer is slowly turning into the chill of winter, many people are putting thoughts of typical summer foods onto their mental back-burner. Perhaps this is understandable but... don't let that stop you from enjoying the deliciousness of a creamy potato salad!
We created this version of potato salad to be used as a side-dish. It is more aimed towards the winter months due to the fact it features leeks (a popular winter staple) the the flavors of this version of potato salad go perfectly with roasted cuts of meat (another popular winter staple).
As opposed to a summer variety of potato salad, we opted to use a red potato (also known as "new potatoes") instead of the usual Russet variety. This gives the potato salad a more delicate texture. This potato salad does take a few minutes longer to prepare than usual because you are going to be sauteing the leeks, garlic and red pepper flakes before adding them to the potatoes and eggs.
Ingredients needed to make Winter Potato Salad (serves 4):
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 leek, tender white portion only and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 5 red potatoes, cooked, peeled and diced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and chopped
- 1 Tbs. yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- In a medium saute pan or skillet, melt the butter into the oil over medium heat.
- Add the leek, garlic and red pepper flakes and saute a few minutes (until the leeks become tender).
- Into a large bowl, combine the potatoes and eggs.
- Spoon the leek mixture over the potatoes and toss to coat. Let the mixture sit 5 minutes (the potatoes will soak in all that wonderful flavor).
- Add the mustard and mayonnaise to the salad and gently stir to combine.
- Chill until ready to serve.
The book Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals, is now in its third printing and available worldwide, including the official website for Downton Abbey!