With football season in full swing now, it's tailgate time again. There's nothing better than gathering with a group of your friends, having a deliciously unhealthy meal, drinking slightly more than you should, and watching a big game. Whether you're doing that at the stadium or in your own living room, you're going to need some really awesome food. This hearty chili recipe is sure to be a touchdown.
Chili con carne
1 1/2 medium white onions, diced into medium sized pieces
1 yellow bell pepper, diced into medium sized pieces
1/2 cup beer (any kind will do)
1/4 cup ancho chili powder
2 - 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (this is located in the ethnic aisle in a can)*
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 pound ground beef (80% beef, 20% fat) **
1 pounds ground pork**
3 15 oz cans kidney beans beans, (drained and rinsed thoroughly)
1 18 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 18 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup beer
* If you're not into spice, you can omit these. It will still be pretty awesome.
** If so inclined, you could brown your beef and pork on the stove top for an extra rich, meaty flavor. If not, follow the easy steps below.
- Break apart your meat and place into the slow cooker on low. Season with salt liberally.
- Add your beer, onion, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the spices, chipotle peppers, and tomatoes. Stir to combine. Season with salt to taste.
- Once thoroughly combined, add the beans and gently combine. This ensures that they don't get crushed with all the stirring.
- Put the lid on and walk away. This can sit (with occasional stirring) for about 6 hours. Usually if it goes much longer, it will start to take on a metallic taste.
- Top with shredded cheddar and sour cream if you like. Serves well with crackers.