Hotel del Coronado, a beautiful Victorian-style resort on Coronado Island, south of San Diego, has been welcoming guests since 1888. Over the years it has played hosts to such dignitaries as, the Prince of Wales who gave up a throne for an American Wallis Simpson, as well as many U.S. Presidents, among them, Franklin Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, and most recently Barack Obama.
Used in many movies it was the site for the filming of the 1959 movie "Some Like it hot" that starred Tony Curtis, Jack Lemon and Marilyn Monroe. Frank Baum, the author of the Wizard of Oz, did a lot of the writing while staying at the hotel, which it is said was the design for the Emerald City in the story.
In 1977 the hotel was designated a National Historic Landmark, and in 2012 Coronado Beach was named the 'best beach in America' by Professor Leatherman at the Florida International University, who cited the lush subtropical foliage, sparkling sand, and unique Mediterranean climate as factors in his decision.
The hotel has three distinct buildings housing 679 rooms, and 78 cottages and beach Villas,
1. The Victorian building blends 19th century architecture with today's modern amenities
2. The Ocean Towers and California Cabana rooms have oceanfront settings
3. The Beach Villas are exclusive beachfront settings with livingrooms, master suites, fireplace and separate guestrooms, gourmet kitchens, and many additional features and amenities. It is also possible to purchase Ownership of one of the 2 or 3 bedroom units.
When it comes to dining, there are many restaurants to choose from, among them
1. the resorts signature dining restaurant 1500 Ocean with excellent cuisine and stunning ocean views
2. Sheerwater with casual California cuisine such as steak and seafood
3. Babcock & Story Bar serving light snacks
4. Eno Wine Room with fine wine, cheeses and delicious chocolates
5. and the Del's historic Crown Room serving a sumptuous Sunday brunch
One can opt to spend all one's time at the resort enjoying the beach and water activities, getting a facial, massage, or other treatment at the SPA, or browsing among the shops to find the perfect souvenir or gift; or one can visit nearby San Diego where there are museums, shopping malls, Sea World and the San Diego Zoo among the many attractions.
As families make up a large part of Hotel Del Coronado's guest list the hotel caters to the kids with activity centers, kids camps and crafts just for them. Throughout the year the hotel has special planned events and major holiday activities, visit here for this year's calendar
With all the hotel has to offer and it's easy access from the San Diego Airport, which is serviced by daily flights from around the country, is it any wonder that the Hotel Del Coronado is one of the top resorts in Southern California.