A vegan's travel guide: Fort Collins, Colorado

Raw coconut cream pie at Tasty Harmony. So amazing.
Raw coconut cream pie at Tasty Harmony. So amazing.
Sara Jelley, Tasty Harmony 2009

Comments

• Corey Wrenn 5 years ago

The tempeh at Avo's is hit or miss...good deal though. I heard that Watercourse is selling their stuff at a coffee shop here, but I forget which...I need to know...especially since the Buttercream Bakery quit selling vegan cupcakes :(

• Profile picture of Sara Jelley
    Sara Jelley 4 years ago

It's The Bean Cycle! Haha just saw this article after a long time. Watercourse vegan carrot cake and cookies, etc. at the bean cycle now. love it! Now, though, there are often vegan carrot cakes and vegan brownies at Mugs, thanks to a certain employee. :)

• Corey Wrenn 5 years ago

Alley Cats always has vegan pastries too

• Corey Wrenn 5 years ago

Alley Cats always has vegan pastries too

• Corey Wrenn 5 years ago

Sorry--one more thing--Vitamin Cottage on South College...they probably have more vegan specialty items than any of the other health food stores in town.

• trblmkr 5 years ago

What the hell is Vegan Beer? Last I knew, they didn't slay cows or chickens to make beer. Maybe I'm missing something.

• Sara 5 years ago

Haha thanks Corey, I haven't been to the Alley Cat in years. I figure Vitamin cottage is pretty widespread, but I guess so is Sunflower.
    trblmkr: Some beer companies filter their product through isinglass, which is a fish product. Some use sugar that has also been processed with bone char. Check out barnivore.com for what's vegan and what's not.

• Lisa 5 years ago

Thanks for this article Sara.
    I hope you'll reconsider promoting Whole Foods over Sunflower however. Sunflower promotes mostly factory farmed animals in their meat sections and has very little consciousness about their own private label products. They sell the worst eggs imaginable under their own brand and don't promote any vegan products in their delis or food service area. Whole Foods on the other hand has a passionate vegan CEO, JOhn Mackey, continually promotes new vegan companies and has recently hired an amazing world recognized vegan chef to hear up their food service devision. I am a loyal Whole Foods shopper for all those reasons and the pioneerng work they are doing in promoting a plant based diet is deeply commendable. I hope vegans will consider supporting this pioneering company for all the good they do.

• Sara 5 years ago

Thanks Lisa! I guess because no one complains about Sunflower in the mainstream news, I haven't heard any of that. Its good to know which companies are supporting compassionate practices. Guess I haven't done all my research!