**For more great food from America's party state, Nevada, go to the Facebook page called A Taste of Nevada**
The Silver State of Nevada is truly one of the most gorgeous geographical places on the face of the earth. Whether it be the unbelievable beauty of the Nordic lake known as Tahoe, the high desert of the Reno area or the low desert landscape of southern Nevada, the gateway to the southwest, the magic of Nevada is alive and well. There is probably no state in America with such a colorful history and as you will now learn from this new series by internationally renown chef and bestselling cookbook author, Larry Edwards, there is no state which can match Nevada for fresh, healthy and downright delicious food. So, whether you're sunning on the shores of Lake Tahoe, revisiting the west at Virginia City, enjoying "the biggest little city in the world," marveling at the beauty of the capital city of Carson City, playing in Las Vegas or frolicking in fabulous Fernley -- a taste of Nevada is only a fork away!
Here is Nevada we love NASCAR just as much as any anywhere else. Matter-of-fact, during the racing season you will find the sports centers of all the casinos brimming with people taking in the race and placing their bets. In between their shouts and cussing, they will also be drinking some ice cold beer and munching away on some damn good food.
This sandwich is our homage to NASCAR. Like NASCAR it is multi-dimensional. There are many layers and each one is better than the next. Unlike NASCAR, this sandwich is simple and easy to complete!
Here we have layer after layer after layer of unbelievable tastes and textures. Aside from the grilled chicken, there is an avocado cream, smoked bacon -- YES BACON -- asparagus, juicy tomatoes and topped off with some toasted Parmesan cheese. Of course this is served open-face on a thick slice of sourdough French bread.
These sandwiches are so thick and loaded with tasty goodness, you might want to serve them with a fork and knife (and a bib might be a good idea as well).
Ingredients needed to make The NASCAR Sandwich (serves 2):
- 2 thick slices sourdough French bread
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 Tbs. mayonnaise
- 1 tomato, sliced to a medium thickness
- leftover grilled chicken, sliced thin
- 4 spears cooked asparagus, halved lengthwise
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- finely grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese (amount to your liking)
- Pre-heat your broiler.
- If you want a crunchier sandwich, toast the slices of bread in the oven a few minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mash the avocado with the tines of a fork. Stir in the mayonnaise to make an avocado cream.
- Liberally spread the avocado cream over the slices of bread.
- Layer the tomatoes over the avocado cream.
- Layer the chicken over the tomatoes.
- Layer the asparagus over the chicken.
- Layer the bacon over the asparagus.
- Sprinkle the top of the sandwich with the finely grated Parmesan cheese.
- Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet and place under the broiler a few minutes, just until the Parmesan cheese begins to get golden.
- Remove to a plate and serve.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."