Warning: This pie is not for the faint-of-heart. It is not for the squeamish. If you have thin lips, this pie can be fatal.
This pie is the ultimate Lemon Meringue Pie. The only liquid in this pie is 2 cups of pure freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 7 lemons). Along with the lemon juice is the finely grated zest of all 7 lemons! It is absolutely impossible to get more lemony than this pie as the natural citric acid of the lemon juice would not allow the filling to hold up and stabilize.
If you decide to live on the dangerous side and make this pie, remember that the crust is a very important factor. The only crust I use for any of my pies is here -- it is very easy and quick to make.
You've been warned. Enjoy!
Ingredients needed to make Pure Lemon Meringue Pie (makes 1 pie):
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
- finely grated zest of all the lemons squeezed
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 pie crust (see link above)
- Into a medium heavy saucepan, combine the 1 cup sugar, cornstarch, salt and lemon juice and whisk the mixture over medium heat until the sugar melts and it just begins to simmer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining sugar and the egg yolks.
- Into the yolk mixture, whisk 1 cup of the hot lemon juice mixture.
- While whisking, pour the yolk mixture into the lemon juice mixture and whisk until combined (Yay, you just made lemon curd).
- Lower the heat to low, add the butter and stir the lemon mixture until thickened (see picture in slideshow).
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour the lemon filling (curd) into the prepared pie shell.
- 4 egg whites (from the eggs you used for the filling)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Place the egg whites into a mixer with the whisk attachment and beat a few minutes to break them down.
- Add the sugar and beat on high until stiff peaks form (see picture in slideshow).
- Mound the meringue onto the top of the pie and smooth out.
- Place into the oven and bake about 10 minutes or until the meringue starts to attain some color.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."