Once you bite into these morsels of incredible taste, you will never believe they are a perfect diet dish. A tremendous taste in each bite, a wonderful amount of vitamins and minerals, very low in fat and so easy to prepare they really should become a staple of your weekly diet!
You can also make these totally vegetarian by eliminating the tuna and replacing it with a savory sauteed cabbage.
When buying canned tuna for this dish, make sure you look at the ingredients. The only thing you want to see is tuna and water (or oil, if so preferred).
Ingredients needed to make Zucchini Stuffed with Tuna (serves 4):
- 4 zucchini’s, stem end removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 6oz. can tuna, drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Cut the zucchini into three pieces. Using a melon-baller or a teaspoon, remove the center pulp of the zucchini. Chop the pulp and set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan or skillet heat 1/3 cup of olive oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini pulp and garlic and sauté 5 minutes. Add the breadcrumbs, black pepper, parsley and tuna and cook 5 minutes. Remove the contents to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same sauté pan or skillet heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat and add the tomato sauce and chicken stock and cook 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Stuff the zucchini with the tuna filling.
- Spoon the tomato sauce mixture into a non-metallic baking dish and place the stuffed zucchini atop.
- Place in oven and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."