If you have never eaten leeks, you are in for one wonderful surprise. Leeks are those vegetables you see at the market that look like a green onion met with a nuclear fallout -- meaning they look like freakishly large green onions. When fresh and properly prepared, leeks do have an onion taste, yet they also have a very quaint sweetness to them. As far as preparing leeks for a dish, you do want to wash them quite well and the best way to do this is to slice the leek down the middle near the root end and run them under cold running water.
This dish is one of my favorite side dishes featuring leeks. It is the perfect "sweet and sour" dish as it truly is sweet and sour! A very simple dish to prepare and a perfect side dish when served alongside spicy foods and grilled entree's.
Ingredients needed to make Sweet and Sour Leeks (serves 4):
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 3 leeks, washed, halved and julienned
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- In a medium saucepan heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sugar and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the leeks and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and toss to coat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Can be served either hot or cold.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."