What makes these crab cakes so much different than other types of crab cakes is not just the fact they have a southwestern flair to them with the jalapeno peppers but the fact I use fresh sourdough breadcrumbs as the base, include the claw meat (matter-of-fact I use one entire crab for 4 cakes), dry them and then saute them over a lower than usual heat. Even better is the fact they are very easy to make!
Due to the fact these are among the most delicate crab cakes, you want to be extremely careful when turning them over or they may break apart. Because of their delicate nature, these crab cakes will literally almost melt in your mouth. Every bite will create a taste explosion and when dipped into the fabulous Casa sauce, you will have achieved crab cake nirvana!
Ingredients needed to make Southwest Crab Cakes (makes 4 large crab cakes):
- 1 Dungeness crab
- 2 Tbs. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. horseradish
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 2 Tbs. minced parsley
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Separate the claws from the body of the crab. Remove the meat from the claws. Disassemble the body and remove the meat.
- Into a medium bowl combine all the ingredients, except the crab and olive oil, and stir to combine.
- Add the crab meat and gently combine.
- Divide the mixture into four equal portions. Form each portion into a cakes (make a ball and then flatten with the palm of your hands).
- Set the crab cakes aside 15 minutes to dry (this will help keep them together while they are sauteing).
- In a large saute pan or skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Carefully add the crab cakes (they will be more delicate than usual crab cakes due to the amount of crab in them). Reduce the heat to a few notches below medium and saute 7 minutes.
- Carefully turn the crab cakes over and saute 5 minutes.
- Remove the crab cakes to a serving plate and set aside until the sauce is made.
Ingredients to make the Casa Sauce:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs. sour cream
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp. horseradish
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk until creamy and smooth.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."