When properly prepared there may not be a fresher tasting vegetable than asparagus. The slight crunch, the slight nutty taste and the plethora of vitamins and minerals these spears of wonder possess, truly do make them one of Nature's wonder foods.
This particular dish is very easy to prepare and takes very little time. It can be used as a side dish, a brunch or even as a vegetarian entree. Actually it also makes for a pretty good snack!
Ingredients needed for Sourdough Asparagus Parmesan (serves 4 as a side dish):
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed if needed
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 cup sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Into a shallow dish combine the asparagus and olive oil and toss to coat the asparagus.
- In a separate shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Add the oiled asparagus into the breadcrumb mixture and toss to coat.
- Place the asparagus onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining breadcrumb mixture over the asparagus.
- Place in the oven and cook 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve!
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."