True is the fact Summer is a time for some great grilled and barbecued food but it is also a time to appreciate some wonderful salads. On those hot and humid Summer evenings, instead of leaning over some hot embers, why don't you chill out with a wonderful dinner salad and a glass of chilled white wine.
As with any salad, there really isn't a recipe with amounts and time. There are a few special things you need to do to create this salad but it isn't anything hard. When Dungeness crab is not in season, you can still prepare this salad using salmon or trout as both have the texture and taste to compliment the brie creme.
So forget about those boring salads consisting of lettuce thrown on a plate and covered with Hidden Valley sludge. Enjoy a salad loaded with flavors and with all the nutritional elements of a wonder dinner!
Ingredients needed to make Sierra Crab Salad with Brie Creme (serves 2):
- 1 Dungeness crab, cleaned and shelled with the meat set aside
- 8 spears asparagus
- spinach leaves, stems removed
- 2 ounces brie cheese, softened
- 1 Tbs. heavy cream
- 1 Tbs. mayonnaise
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- Pick over the crab meat to make sure there are no shells. Discard the shells.
- In a pan of boiling salt water, add the asparagus and cook 5 minutes. Remove the asparagus to a bowl of ice water and set aside.
- Mound some spinach leaves in the middle of each serving plate.
- In a small saute pan or skillet over low heat, add the brie cheese, heavy cream and mayonnaise and whisk until smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat and gently stir in the crab meat. Let the crab sit in the brie creme a few minutes.
- Spoon some of the crab mixture atop the spinach and sprinkle some bacon over the crab.
- Place the slices of avocado on the plate and serve.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."