Imagine, if you will, biting into nice chunks of sourdough bread laden with butter and the creamy essence of chocolate laced within a smooth and slightly sweet texture with gems of sour cherries exploding within your mouth. No, this isn't a food lovers dream -- this is the experience you will have when that first fork full of Chocolate Sourdough Bread Pudding parts your lips and enters your mouth!
There is no denying the fact this dessert is a dieters nightmare. If you are on Weight Watchers this probably will take up a decades worth of points. Oprah would say this dessert is the work of the devil -- but you know what, we only go through this life once and dammit, I'm going through with a smile and a smacking of my lips!
If you do intend on making this dessert, do not be cheap when it comes to the chocolate! Use only a dark high quality chocolate with at least a 70% amount of cocoa.
Ingredients needed to make Southwestern Sourdough Bread Pudding with Chocolate and Sour Cherries:
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, cut into cubes
- 1 cup melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 4 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 14 oz. can sour cherries, drained
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Into a large bowl toss the cubed sourdough bread with the melted butter and let sit 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks and sugar until pale (see picture in slideshow).
- In a medium saucepan bring the milk to a boil.
- Into the milk whisk in the vanilla and chocolate until the chocolate has melted.
- Pour the milk mixture over the bread and add the cherries. Stir to combine and let sit 5 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into an oven-proof casserole dish.
- Place into the oven and bake 90 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."