Close your eyes and think about this: a smooth, rich and creamy soup with the sultry taste of avocado, the pungency of jalapeno peppers and the slight sweetness of sherry. Now open your eyes and let your food fantasies become reality with this incredible soup to bring a refreshing wisp of Summer into your life.
Serve this soup with a good French bread and a nice glass of chilled white wine and you will have a perfect Summer dinner of freshness and sublime joy
Now if you want to do something really wild, pour this soup into an ice cream machine and make an original (and incredible) savory ice cream to go along with any barbecued or grilled entree. Whether as a chilled soup or a savory ice cream, Chilled Sherry Avocado Soup will make this a Southwest Summer to remember!
I prefer to mash the avocado's as I like the texture it gives the soup. If you want a smoother texture, then puree the avocado's and cream in a food processor. If you want to make this into a savory ice cream, churn the mixture 20 minutes in your ice cream machine.
Ingredients needed to make Chilled Sherry and Avocado Soup (serves 2):
- 2 avocado's, peeled and pitted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
- Place the avocado's into a large bowl and mash with the tines of a fork (or place into a food processor and puree).
- Stir the heavy cream into the avocado to make an avocado creme (cream).
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a simmer. Add the avocado creme, sherry and salt and let cook 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the soup cool.
- Pour the soup into a bowl and chill at least 2 hours.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls, sprinkle with some jalapeno pepper and serve.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."