Skip to main content
  1. AXS Entertainment
  2. Arts & Entertainment
  3. Music

A look at Wednesday night's top concerts: Duhks, LAZERfest qualifier, and more

See also

Wednesday, January 22 should be a good night for concerts in Central Iowa. Here are a few recommendations.

The Maintenance Shop in Ames will host the Canadian acoustic roots band The Duhks (featured in the nearby video) at 8 p.m. Wednesday night. The Grammy, Juno, and Americana Music Association Award winners are currently working on a new fan-funded indie album that they hope to release later this year. Tickets for this all ages show are $15 in advance ($10 for ISU students), and $2 more at the door. Advanced tickets may be purchased online through MidwesTix or at the M-Shop box office.

Also Wednesday night, the Keller Williams "What the Funk 2014 Tour" stops at DG's Tap House. The 8 p.m. show will also feature Williams performing with More Than a Little. The Fredericksburg, Virginia native classifies his music as "jazzfunkraggaelectronicagrass". Williams is current tour is in support of his 2013 release Funk. Tickets for this 21-and-over event are $30 in advance and $32 at the door. They may be purchased online through MidwesTix.

In Des Moines on Wednesday, Wooly's hosts one of the first preliminary round of the LAZERfest Battle of the Bands at 7 p.m. Battling it out to try to earn a spot on a LAZERfest stage will be Stone Park Ritual (Odebolt), Apathy Syndrome (Des Moines), Mistaken for Halos (Waterloo), Ashes Armada (Albia), and Green Death (Des Moines). Tickets to the all ages show are free and audience participation counts for 40% of the voting (the other 60% comes from the three judges).


Today's top buzz...

  • NBA point guards
    The other guys: NBA's top 5 underrated point guards
    NBA Buzz
  • Gwen Stefani
    From Snoop Dogg to Gwen Stefani: The special Coachella guests we loved seeing
    Music News
  • The Ultimate Warrior
    An autopsy on the Ultimate Warrior reveals what suddenly killed the wrestling hero
    Fight Sports
  • Marlon Wayans
    Exclusive: Marlon Wayans dishes on 'A Haunted House 2' and getting sexy with a doll
    Movies Buzz
  • Scott Harnell
    Philadelphia Flyers forward Scott Hartnell has been fined $5K for spearing
    NHL Buzz
  • Game of Thrones
    The stars of 'Game of Thrones' react to the shocking purple wedding
    TV Buzz

Related Videos:

User login

Log in
Sign in with your email and password. Or reset your password.
Write for us
Interested in becoming an Examiner and sharing your experience and passion? We're always looking for quality writers. Find out more about and apply today!