There is always room for a hearty breakfast. This one-skillet meal is both hearty and delicious. Toast up a few English muffins and the perfect meal is ready to serve. This is a great and easy weekend meal. It can also be a served as breakfast for dinner on a work/school night when time is precious.
A Hearty Skillet Breakfast
- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frown, shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 eggs or equivalent egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup dripping in skillet.Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes or until bottom is golden brown. Flip potatoes.
- Using the back of a spoon, make 8 wells, evenly spaced, in potato mixture.
- Break one egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low for 10 minutes or until eggs are set and potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Let stand until cheese melts.